• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Backwoods vs Spicewine

Gowan

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'm considering adding a cabinet-style smoker to the arsenal. Anyone care to compare the Spicewine to the Backwoods?

-gf

I've never cooked on a Backwoods, but I do love my Spicewine. It is very well made, holds temps like a champ, is very easy to cook on, and cleans up without much problem. Most importantly, the product it turns out is really top notch.

Best of luck in your search/decision.

BTW... Jimmy Brod (Smokin Cracker here on the board) is the SE distributor. He has some he needs to move and has/had some great pricing on them.

What size unit are you considering? BW party vs Small SW? Competitor Vs medium/large SW?

When I was looking the backwoods shelf arrangement did not hold a full sized pan if that matters to you. I've never cooked on a backwoods, but love my Spicewinner in copper blaze!! .........stan

I've never cooked on a Backwoods, but I do love my Spicewine. It is very well made, holds temps like a champ, is very easy to cook on, and cleans up without much problem. Most importantly, the product it turns out is really top notch.

Best of luck in your search/decision.

BTW... Jimmy Brod (Smokin Cracker here on the board) is the SE distributor. He has some he needs to move and has/had some great pricing on them.

I could say the same, except replace Backwoods with Spicewine and Spicewine with Backwoods.

Smokinit and iwnly (members of this forum) are both Backwoods dealers.

What I'm trying to say is both are great smokers and you will be happy with either. Figure out which one best fits your needs.

Some differences that I can think of:
Backwoods have insulated doors where Spicewines doors are not
Spicewines are made with thicker metal, Backwoods are much lighter
Spicewine smoke come up directly from the smoker
In the Backwoods, the smoke goes to near the top around on 3 sides, then the smoke leaves the smoke chamber near the bottom and up the exhaust

I'm certainly not an expert and couldn't tell you much of the differences; however, I love my Backwoods Fatboy. It holds temps great and turns out amazing Que. I almost feel guilty using it because it's so easy.

That said, I've never met someone who owned either a Spicewine or a Backwoods that that much negative to say about their smokers. You can't go wrong with either one.

Love my spicewine as well, I have a large spice mounted on a trailer

I could say the same, except replace Backwoods with Spicewine and Spicewine with Backwoods.

Smokinit and iwnly (members of this forum) are both Backwoods dealers.

What I'm trying to say is both are great smokers and you will be happy with either. Figure out which one best fits your needs.

Some differences that I can think of:
Backwoods have insulated doors where Spicewines doors are not
Spicewines are made with thicker metal, Backwoods are much lighter
Spicewine smoke come up directly from the smoker
In the Backwoods, the smoke goes to near the top around on 3 sides, then the smoke leaves the smoke chamber near the bottom and up the exhaust

Another difference would be color selection Spicewines are your choice
and options Spicewine has the hand truck option and the Diamond Plate front doors option
The Powder Coat option, The Tie down option and the optimal option
Correct me if I am wrong on this :)

Backwoods are great smokers, but from seeing and using both, Spicewines are built better, but allot heavier. And everyone on this site that has met Jay or Randy knows they are very cool guys and will tell you Spicewine , even though they are Mizzuo Tiger fans.

Another difference would be color selection Spicewines are your choice
and options Spicewine has the hand truck option and the Diamond Plate front doors option
The Powder Coat option, The Tie down option and the optimal option
Correct me if I am wrong on this :)

Hey Thom, what is "the optimal option"?

Never heard of it.

Backwoods can be loaded in truck with a couple of strong guys. Spicewine requires a trailer.

I have seen a Backwoods in action and they are great. I own a Spicewine and I am pleased to say, that I am glad I chose it over all the other cabinet style cookers. Built to last. We have a trailer with a fold down door, and we just roll it up and tie down. No problem.
Either way, you win.

052408084.jpg

I've cooked on both, side-by-side, more than once. Both are great cookers. Both have advantages over the other. One that hasn't been mentioned is the Spicewine has a much larger water pan. THe Backwoods comes up to temp faster because it has lighter metal. The Spicewine will hold temps longer because the metal stays hot. You can keep cooking in a Spicewine an hour after the charcoal has burnt out. That is not a guess. I have done it.

I'm looking at the Competitor in the Backwoods, possibly the medium Spicewine.

I'm aware of the obvious differences in finish and features, the things I'd like to hear from owners are things like:

• Mobility loading and unloading on a truck or trailer
  • Any rust or leakage issues
  • Ease and method of cleaning
  • Manufacturer support and warranty claims
  • Unattended cook times
  • Hot spots or other idiosyncrasies
Thanks for your help! I like to get as many opinions as possible before buying...

-gf

Back