1 door or two??

2nd hand

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Need some opinions while I still have time to make a change. I ordered a Klose byc and it has a 60 " main chamber. I was parusing thier updated site tonight and noticed that one of these had 2 doors. I also ordered the 2 full sliding racks and I thought how's that gonna work if there a center bar in the way. I called Dana and she said that 1 door would be too heavy and that they could put a center hinge between the 2 doors to pull the racks out. She said that if I wanted 1 full door it can still be done cause I'm not due for a few weeks. What do you all think? Does anyone have pics of what shes talking about?

Last edited:
I have a 2 door 42" Klose. If I ordered a new one, it would at least have the hinge. I like the idea of not opening a big door and letting heat out. Also on larger pits, dual doors could eliminate a counter weight. Mine just makes it a litttle harder to load larger cuts without the center hinge.

2nd hand, I have a 30" X 8' Klose Mobile. Mine is made out of 3/8" pipe. After a few conversations with Dave here is what we decided. I dont recall what thickness steel he uses on byc. Mine has 2doorsw/counterweights. I also have the center partion that is also hinged. My pit has 3 sliding racks on each side. Now w/the center partition that is hinged. The shelf supports have the upper 2 shelves supports that sit behind the partion are removable. The bottom shelf center support is fixed or welded in. I did that for the simple fact that I could remove the top 2 shelves and center slide supports for placing 2 suckling pigs or 1 large hog in my pit if needed. It does cost a bit more but I think its well worth the cost. The hinged center partition has a deadbolt throw that allows it to be opened when I believe the left door is raised. The right door has to be open before the left in that mode. When Dave delivered my pit to me he told me each one of my doors weighed approx. 300# a piece. Now I know for sure w/o those counterweights I would probably strain my back opening and closing my doors.I would double check on the weight of your door or doors. I think I would give Dave a call on his cell and speak with him directly about your concerns. Im not trying to circomvent Dana in any way here. Just make damn sure you got all the facts before they start your pit. I also have the upright on mine. Gas assist and the burner in the firebox. Stainless steel wood grate too. I also ordered the insulated firebox for our balmy Michigan winters. One last thing my mobile is also factory tuned. It really does save on the amount of firewood that I go through compared to my Owners Reccomended pit. Just my 2 cents here and you will get many many years of enjoyment out of your unit. Good Luck.

Mike

on a 60 inch main, i would go with 2 doors with a hinged center. As long as you can still get large cuts in, and have the entire thing open when u need too, the 2 doors make sense. Opening up a single door on a 60 inch main is gonna dump all the heat.. why dump all, when u only have to dump half sometimes. Also

definately 2, with a hinged center.

Phil do you recall what thickness your metal is on your byc?

It should be 1/4" thinck and I went with the 1/2" firebox. I'm gonna try and locate Daves cell #. I've seen it somewhere on his site before.

2nd hand said:
It should be 1/4" thinck and I went with the 1/2" firebox. I'm gonna try and locate Daves cell #. I've seen it somewhere on his site before.

It's on his site also.

Sweet!!! Wish mine had a 60 inch chamber (sigh) the next one will. I;d also vote two doors with the hinge. Temp control is the biggest issue. Get teh bigger wheels, the small ones work but suck on grass. Scott

They actually said that they wouldn't make this one unless I ok'd the larger 8" wheels cause of the weight. For some reason when Dana and I were going through and placing the order of what i wanted the doors never came up. I just always assumed 1 door. I was looking at the site cause they revamped it and I saw one just like mine with 2 doors so I called up and talked to Dana again. I never new about the hinged center. I've never done a whole hog but I'd like to try eventually. I'm gonna go check his site right now.

What does tuning a pit mean and will it already be done or do I have to ask for it?

2nd hand said:

You'll never get him off the phone! Better think before you call! I have an 84" main with 5/16 steel. There is about 15" of waste space so I figure I have two 35" doors. They are no problem to open without counterweights. Counterweights look cool, but are really not needed if you are a reasonably virile man! On a 50" door in .25" steel, you may want to add them though. good luck.

1/4 inch chambers and 1/2 inch Firebox.

If the new job comes through I may be looking at replacing the BYC with a custom unit. Come on new job!!!!!

2nd hand said:
What does tuning a pit mean and will it already be done or do I have to ask for it?

Tuning means adjusting the tuning plates (if you ordered them with your pit) so that the heat is distributed throughout the cooking chamber evenly. Plates line up along the bottom and channel heat down the chamber. Usually not done for you (good time to do it is during the seasoning process), and once you get meat in the chamber, everything changes anyways.

Yakfishingfool said:
If the new job comes through I may be looking at replacing the BYC with a custom unit. Come on new job!!!!!
And you will be posting that for sale notice here, right?

Back