Gas or Electric.

FatDaddy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
We are getting ready to have a house built. I know most of the ones Ive seen have the flattop electric range in them. Which do yall prefer? electric or gas range? I am thinking i want Gas and i want a bad ass good lookin range. But would still like some input.

I looking at the same thing (may still be a couple years before the house is built but I digress). Our exec chef at work said gas is the way to go - turn it on and you have heat - turn it off and the heat is gone. From what I hear gas gives you much more control.

I would go gas over electric any day, especially if you like to cook. Of couse electric works, but the difference in heat control is not even close. Gas cooks much more evenly as well.

any particular brand yall would prefer? I know i would like a viking commercial, but that will never happen lol.. couldnt fit it in my kitchen. I was thinking maybe kenmore or jenair?

Gas if you can. The difference in heat control is like night and day! The only complaint I've ever had about a gas range was due to the location. It was in a location that was pretty drafty and when something was on a very low simmer the fire frequently blew out.

A flat top electric can be a real pain in the arse to keep clean if you get behind and let some stuff build up.

FatDaddy said:
any particular brand yall would prefer? I know i would like a viking commercial, but that will never happen lol.. couldnt fit it in my kitchen. I was thinking maybe kenmore or jenair?

Viking makes a great home product. Most places will not sell you a comercial unit unless you have a fire suppresion system in the kitchen, but building codes and practices may vary.

I got gas!

Unfortunately my stove is electric. If gas was available as an option I would have been all over it!

If all you're doing is boiling water, electric coils are best. They'll boil a pot of water faster than anything else.
If you're actually cooking, gas is best. Temp control is great on a good unit and you can't use a real wok on an electric cook top (this may or may not be important to you, but I miss being able to use my wok). Be sure to look at ranges that have at least one burner for simmering. It will have a small burner inside one of the full size burners.
Oven baking is a different story. I think electric / convection is best for this. One of the by-products of gas combustion is water - not preferred for baking.

Gas. Period.

Viking does make a fine home product line that looks killer, and works great. So does Wolfe. {I think that's right}.

You can get much higher heat output with gas ranges, so in addition to better control, you also get where you are going faster.

if you have never cooked on anything and and go electric, you will be ok.. if you cooked on electric and switch to gas, u will be ecstatic..(after burning a thing or 2)... but if you are used to gas, and switch to electric, you will be throwing out your new electric range and buying a gas one very soon.

go gas.

IVe cooked on both. but the gas stoves have allways been the cheapo ones u find in rent houses and same with the crappy avacado green electric stoves in apts. lol..

Gas Gas Gas, when our electric gives out I am going gas, the heat contol is like night & day difference. Also if I had gas I would use cast iron to cook with all the time.

I miss having a gas range right up to the point where I read about the soaring gas prices and how people's bills triple during the winter months. THEN I'm happy I'm all electric.

Arlin_MacRae said:
I miss having a gas range right up to the point where I read about the soaring gas prices and how people's bills triple during the winter months. THEN I'm happy I'm all electric.

Yeah, Arlin, but in my case, I cook and dry clothes with gas. that is all. I averaged spending $17 per month for gas last 12 months. To me that seems reasonable. Full Disclosure-I do have an electric convection oven and a microwave that gets a share of use. Don't tell my gas company, but I would pay a lot more if I had to to have a gas stove-top to cook on.

Back