Corn Dogs ?

Paul B

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I know not bbq but I do throw some on the grill once in a while.

I need a recipe for a batter. This is my try:
and was way too thick, although they did taste good.

Ideas???? Want the county fair type.

thanks,

Paul B
SS UDS

Looks good to me too, I like a thicker batter.
I'm gonna make a sourdough batter, starting tomorrow, have to try that on corn dogs.

When we do corn dogs over the fire, as long as the cast iron
deep frier is going, I batter and deep fry everything that gets in my way, cheese
brocoli, cauliflower, candy bars, etc, till the batter is all gone

I had to paint the batter on it was so thick. I was going for a dip and drip and fry.....

Paul B

I know not bbq but I do throw some on the grill once in a while.

I need a recipe for a batter. This is my try:
and was way too thick, although they did taste good.

Ideas???? Want the county fair type.

thanks,

Paul B
SS UDS

Ad more liquid, (buttermilk, or water, or beer) a little at a time
until it is the thickness you want it to be.

Try a box of "Jiffy Mix", not bad if you like a slightly sweet breading on your "dog". Thin as necessary to your liking. Down and dirty recipe my wife has used for years for the kids. As good or better than the pre-made frozen ones from the supermarket.

Blessings,
Omar

I prefer to use corn flour instead of corn meal, it results in a smoother batter. And a little less flour. Also, I like to mix 1:3 baking soda to baking powder, the leavening is better.

I use corn meal, but agree with Landarc's statement about the powder/soda ratios.
The other thing I do is batter them by inserting two toothpicks into the ends of the dog, then twisting it in the batter. I get a thin, even coat along the dogs, and then I throw them into the fry oil. Gets me the coating I crave every single time.

corn dogs

Thanks for the different ideas, I will try and thin the batter.

And thanks for the :thumb: on the pic I posted, they were good but again looking for a thinner coating.

Paul B
SS UDS

I didn't watch the youtube vids posted above, so maybe they referenced Alton Brown. If not, do a search for Alton Brown corndogs. My wife makes them from time to time and you have to sit down before taking a bite or you're in danger of your knees buckling. :)

Back