• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Bacon - 201 pounds worth - pr0n

Last night we smoked up the last 100 pounds, it was a long night of smoking, slicing and sealing up side after side.

We took a number of pictures, I'll get them off the camera tonight and posted an update.

My entire kitchen/living room and garage still smelled like heaven this morning. :becky:

Bloomington, IL.....hmmmmmm......ROAD TRIP!!!! Keep the light on for me!!!!:-D

Ok next round of pictures. We sliced and sealed up the last 5 sides tonight, project "Makin' Bacon" is over and the freezers are full.

On to the pictures!

null_zpsecce4e3e.jpg

Bear with me on the lighting on some of these. My kitchen after dark is less than ideal for taking pictures.

8e895b18994b3f83c00ffa95e964fc00_zps82cab42b.jpg

c7cf16cf58f04c8bdc005b4dc18ea05a_zps581dc0d2.jpg

395054964a6506842ed75912763728c4_zps76b2295d.jpg

715c88a0522e1a3c1d85a2a581bd368c_zps0efa18b8.jpg

Bacon steaks anyone?

f1ce5e0bb0b9df7ad050df3b885a505f_zps82b47fcb.jpg

3c47404a8a78bd4cbfc25512742939f8_zps1790718e.jpg

Figuring out how to put together the new camp chair while round two is smoking

d005e261b5b6b50780ecc748daa15827_zpsb5f23db1.jpg

Bacon mountain!

457180c2dee7b6194a80ca33c66b4df0_zps7abb222a.jpg

ede6135ccefd695dfd153b3e3d6f6b64_zps35607b90.jpg

Fried some up tonight and made me a bacon, egg and cheese sammich. It was delicious!

[/QUOTE] We did a variety of flavor profiles...here are some that I can remember off the top of my head:

- brown sugar, cracked pepper
- honey habenaro
- honey jalapeno
- cayenne, sea salt, cracked pepper, maple syrup
- sriracha, hot pepper blend
- Rulhman's pancetta blend (garlic, thyme, allspice, juniper berry, etc)
- molasses, brown sugar, habenaro, cracked pepper

I'll update this thread with some additional pictures from last night as well as update it the night(s) we smoke and slice...stay tuned. :biggrin1:[/QUOTE]

First off, BRAVO!:clap2:

Any thoughts on the different flavors chosen? They all sound good just curious as to what "worked"

Thanks for sharing this incredible Baconlicious journey!:biggrin1:

those are awesome! I messed up bad on my last belly =( You cured for 7 days? Also, i have done two bellies to bacon, one a couple years back ended up amazing. This last one was awful. What cure do you use and how much per lb of meat? I get so many differing opinions. Figured id ask you bc those look so awesome

those are awesome! I messed up bad on my last belly =( You cured for 7 days? Also, i have done two bellies to bacon, one a couple years back ended up amazing. This last one was awful. What cure do you use and how much per lb of meat? I get so many differing opinions. Figured id ask you bc those look so awesome

What messed up?

soooo salty. the only thing i changed was the second time i used that pink cure, the first i used tender quik. i had a tought time getting how much cure per pound. some recipes called for tons, and some called for not much at all.

soooo salty. the only thing i changed was the second time i used that pink cure, the first i used tender quik. i had a tought time getting how much cure per pound. some recipes called for tons, and some called for not much at all.

When you're doing bacon next time, slice off a center piece after it's cured and fry it up before you smoke it to check for saltiness; if it's too salty, you can soak it in water until it equalizes to your taste. I've over-cured a few bellies and found this works pretty well. I usually use Ruhlman's ratio (for each 5 LBS it's 2 tsp. pink salt + 2 OZ. kosher salt (by weight) + your other cure ingredients) for curing and just dredge the meat until it's completely coated, then shake off the excess and bag 'em.

Also, if you're not doing this already, get a decent kitchen scale so you can weigh your cure ingredients; Morton's Kosher salt weighs more than Diamond Crystal, so volume measures don't produce the same results.

Thermal Mass - all of the different flavor profiles ended up tasting pretty good but there are a few that I really liked.

- Honey habanero (as long as you don't get carried away with the habanero dust)
- Rulhman's pancetta blend - this was one of my favorites. It makes for a really nice savory flavor profile
- Brown sugar habenaro
- and one of my standby's is brown sugar & cracked peppercorns (simple and delicious)

Few other notes...

Fresh maple syrup add a lot of sweetness to the bacon but you don't get the maple flavor.

It takes a ton of jalapeno dust to get any of the flavor of the pepper.

The only one that was a little disappointing was the sriracha & hot pepper blend. not that it tasted bad, just very lacking in the sriracha and heat department.

bigzthamoose - yep these were cured for 7 days. Here is the basic dry cure that I use.

450 grams of pickling salt
225 grams of granulated sugar
68 grams of pink salt (prague powder #1)

This will make roughly 3 1/2 cups of cure. Use a stand mixer (if you have one) or a whisk to get all the ingredients mixed together and then I use a ratio of 1 tablespoon per pound of meat. With this cure, I've never had it turn out too salty or even had to do a fresh water soak. It works perfectly for my tastes.

I store the extra cure in a mason jar.

Fat Woody's right on with getting a kitchen scale and if things do end up too salty, a fresh water soak will help to remove the salt and make it edible again. My first batch I used a brine and forgot the fresh water soak...it was the saltiest thing I've ever ate...:becky:

Think of all the calories you could burn by simply pushing the meat slicer lol.

I use the pink stuff and I love it. You do need to make sure to knock off some of the cure after the 10 days of curing or it will be very salty.

Back