• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoking St Louis Ribs

papitman

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I just got a texas longhorn smoker, was impressed with the heavy guage metal. Anyway, I notice when I make baby backs they are fall off the bone, anytime I try st Louis ribs they are tough. cooking at 225-240 for 5hrs than wrapping them in tin foil with apple juice for another hr. Any suggestions?? Also, anyone here do Briskets? How long and at what temp would you cook it at? DO you wrap with foil at any point?

You say they are tough, so what did you do to test that they were done when you pulled them off?

1057765_559861180720036_685130989_n.jpg

Two hours in foil is too long for me.... fall off the bone. I like a little bite off the bone and have settled in at 45 min in foil.

Usually smoke St Louis style ribs 250-275 with a 2-1-1. Spray down with either apple juice or Dr. Pepper before foiling.

Works every time...

All I cook is spares, never seem to have a problem with tenderness. It's all about time and temperature. I usually do a 2-2-1 on them around 250. Many different ways, but when I wrap I usually add either apple juice/bbq sauce mixture or fool around and do a johnny trigg style rib with honey, brown sugar, and butter spread.

Try a different store for the meat. Got a local place that sells the worst spare ribs in the world. They never turn out tender no matter what technique I use. I like to cook ribs in the 260-275 range. I think it renders the fat better than the 225+/- and is done quicker. If you do go the higher temps and your rub has a good amount of sugar I would start checking the color at about 2-3 hours and foil for about an hour if getting too dark.

I'm in the no foil group also. Waist of foil....I let them ride 250-275 till they tell me they are done. Usually 4-5 hours like already said.

Leaving them unwrapped doesn't necessarily mean they'll get dark. I didn't wrap the ones in the pic above and they didn't darken. Depends on how much and want kind of sugar is in your rub, and what temp you cook at.

Do they get too dark when you don't wrap?

Mine do if I'm at the higher temps for 4-5 hours. I use mostly dark brown sugar but even when I use commercial rubs with 'raw' sugar it turns out very dark if I go too long. And yes my thermo is accurate at least according to the ice and boiling test.

Sugar is for crappy coffee, kids breakfast cereal & mint julips. Put the sugar in your glaze not the rub If your a glazer.

The last spares I did were cooked ar 250 deg. 3 hrs in smoke, 45 min. in foil, then back on open for 30 min. They turned out perfect, nice n moist and bite clean to the bone.

Lightlysaucedlookinggood.jpg

Usually smoke St Louis style ribs 250-275 with a 2-1-1. Spray down with either apple juice or Dr. Pepper before foiling.

Works every time...

THIS! 250-270..
Then I wrap and I throw two rows of PARKAY on each side and a Lil spray of AJ with a little extra rub.
1 hour later after they are usually good to go.

Back