Contest Announcment 3rd Annual Best Backyard BBQ contest, 8/10/13, Ontario CA

DUBBAGA

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
For anyone in Southern California that has considered joining the competition bbq craze, this is a must-attend event.

The organizers are working to pair up us rookies with an experienced KCBS team to mentor us. For example I will be mentored by Andy "Master of Disaster" Soto. Other teams will be mentored by Jerry Aguilar (Burnin and Lootin) and Andy Allen (Rooftop BBQ). There is even talk about Left Coast Q (top 10 KCBS) making an appearance.

More info can be found here

Andy's a great guy, you'll learn a lot from him..
See you at the event!

Was a judge for this the 1st year. I wish we still lived in Pasadena, it was a fun event to judge!

I judged in the past and really enjoyed the experience
The Ontario folks do a fine job with the event
Well worth the trip

Fantastic... but based on your extensive experience I am hopeful that you will be there as a mentor, and not a competitor :pray:

The Mentor's you have are Pro's! I'd love to help, but definitely am not anywhere near Andy, Jerry, Rooftop, and LCQ! I'm still looking for matches :icon_blush:

We cooked this one, our very first comp. Andy Allen with Rooftop was our mentor when we needed a little advice. It was great to see Andy, as well as Andy Soto, Tom Emery, Steve Wilson, Jerry Agular, and Matt Dalton onsite and in the tent for a change. I think Steve will be doing a write-up on the CBBQA website. Lots of good cooks, both rookie and seasoned were there. Here are our personal results as well as the overall rankings:

We finished 7th overall, our Hot links killed us. Personal standings:

Chicken- 9th
Ribs- 5th
Sauce- 9th
Hot Links- 15th
Open- 3rd

The results: 1 Smoke Hound BBQ
2 Big D's BBQ
3 Bad to the Bone BBQ
4 BC Smokers
5 Up N Smoke BBQ
6 Dee'z Boy'z BBQ
7 All About The Q
8 Revolution Barbecue
9 Green Card Q
10 Barrick BBQ
11 Tom Wilson
12 Brew'n-n-Que'n
13 Pete's Piggy Barn
14 T's Famous Southern Style BBQ
15 Howlin' BBQ
16 Leroy's Pits
17 The Q
18 Fire Mission BBQ
19 Cue tang Clan BBQ
20 Smoke U Foo BBQ
21 Smoking Heavenly BBQ
22 Island Style Grilling
23 Smoking Cunados
24 Evans BBQ
25 Arthur Beltran

Congratulations on the great results Todd. Just be glad that you only had low scoring hot links, as our sauce did pretty bad also. The sauce category was the only one I wasn't able to listen to the results on, so I wasn't able to learn what needs to be changed about it.

I really love the new KCBS scoring sheets, as it provides a ton of helpful information. Initially I was upset to find that our ribs only took 9th place, but then looking at the sheet, we were actually the best of our table by over 10 points. I will take this as a positive, and simply work on making some minor adjustments. It would have been nice to see how our appearance scores would have improved if we were aware that garnish would have been allowed prior to the cooks meeting, as we were initially informed that no garnish was permitted.

Although I always had a great amount of respect for the cooks, after competing for the first time, I am even more impressed about what you all do week in and week out.

Here are our personal standings:

Overall - 9 out of 25
Hot Links - 19 out of 22 (really surprised, I thought they were very good)
Chicken - 2 out of 23
Sauce - 14 out of 22
Ribs - 9 out of 25
Open - 6 out of 22

Although this was classified as a backyard competition, it was so much more than that. Abel Tirre was a first class organizer, Kelly/Kathleen MacIntosh were excellent as always, the 24 judges (I believe it was 100% CBJ with a number of Master Judges present), and a good turn out by the public. And a special thank you to the many professional teams that came out to help in a variety of ways: Andy Soto (Master of Disaster - mentor and table captain), Andy Allen (Rooftop BBQ - mentor), Jerry Aguilar (Burnin and Lootin - mentor), Thom Emery (bbqthom.com - judge), Steve Wilson (The Pit Crew BBQ - judge and also posted a review of the event on the CBBQA website), Matt Dalton (Left Coast Q - judge), Mo Lyons (Left Coast Q - judge), Matthew Stark (Twisted Brisket - disposable cutting board guru and helper to all), and although I'm not positive, I believe I saw Cucamonga Cattle Company in attendance as well.

It was a great event and was awesome to see so many new teams. Congratulations to everyone that walked.
Looking forward to seeing the new teams out on the circuit next year!

You didnt do so bad either Dub. 3 top 10's is good. The feedback was really more important than our scores. I haven't studied the score sheet as much as Bev (the wife) but it is really helpful. I think we actually got a 999 from one judge on ribs adn were first place on our table. Abel, K&K, the whole crew did a great job in the tent. Yep, James from Cuca. Cattle was there as a judge and Andy Allen also TC'd. And I believe you were right across the street from us flying a Brethren Banner. We were the ones with the very ugly horizontal drum smoker. Ugly as hell, but it proved itself as a good cooker according to the scores. Now I am afraid to paint it, it might never cook right again LOL

And yes Jerry, you will see us in the 2014 ROY race!!!

Would love to see Tri Tip and Carne Asada burritos added
Sauce and links dropped out

Back