Frozen Pork but expiration?

Davey D

Reaction score
I was wondering how long a vacuum sealed pork but is good for. I thawed one in the fridge over the last couple days and it looks ok. It is roughly 6 months old. Too old? Any advice would be appreciated.

I think it depends if it was in a deep freezer or a regular freezer. In a deep freezer I think its good for 12 months but in a regular freezer 6. Did it smell bad when it was thawed? If not I would cook it

A six month frozen vacu-sealed butt is fine. I go longer than that with frozen meats.

BTW, pork right out of a vacuum pack is going to smell bad, even if it has not gone bad. Rinse the butt off well, dry it, and it should smell a lot better.

CD

I think it depends if it was in a deep freezer or a regular freezer. In a deep freezer I think its good for 12 months but in a regular freezer 6. Did it smell bad when it was thawed? If not I would cook it

Huh? Frozen is frozen. It doesn't matter what you call a freezer, they do the same thing -- freeze stuff.

CD

As long as it aint freezer burnt it's good a few months ago I found the Proidgal son of Butts in the bottom of freezer, it had been hiding out for 3 yrs...... it was very tasty after a 9 hr smoke bath and saunna time :becky:

Vac-Sealed or Cyro-Packed

Either way you should be good... Thaw, rinse, then do your normal prep...

Back