Reverse flow smoker question

Day

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey guys new to the smoking scene. Had a few questions about the smoker I'm currently building. Is it important to have the flue adjustable inside the box? Some guys had theirs so they could make it lower or higher. The opening on the baffle plate does it need to be the same size as the opening from the burn box? One guy was talking about calculations for this opening to be the right percentage of the box? Excuse my ignorance, but just now learning a new art!! Thanks

I build non adjustable reverse flows. As long as you use a "pit calculator" to calculate your openings, there is no need for adjustments.

Where is the pit calculator. I tried something to that effect, and couldn't seem to get it to work. Not sure if it was the same thing you are talking about.

On reverse flow there is no need to be adjustable leaving the firebox and the baffle plate gap on the opposite end needs to be at least half as big as the opening leaving the firebox to cook chamber at a minimum to keep from restricting flow. INMYHO

Back