chip smoker box vs chunks of wood

pull_my_butt

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Tell me if I have this right guys....if using the chips, soak and then place in the box for smoke? If using chunks of wood, just put it straight in along with the charcoal?

I remember some of ya'll saying that you don't soak the wood because it does very little anyways but in the case of using the chip smoker box, if you don't soak, how are the chips supposed to smolder and give off smoke if it's dry? Unless, it does work somehow.

Cheers brethren.

Nope no need to soak. The only reason to soak is to allow the chips to burn a little longer when place directly on the coals. The smoker box eliminates that need because the chips aren't directly on the coals.

Chunks are just thrown straight on the coals.

Nope no need to soak. The only reason to soak is to allow the chips to burn a little longer when place directly on the coals. The smoker box eliminates that need because the chips aren't directly on the coals.

Chunks are just thrown straight on the coals.

Being a Noob and new to this forum I thankyou for your answer as I read somethings saying soak and then people in the know like yourself saying don't. Now I understand

Back