1st Time Smoking Pork Loin

HookedonSmoke

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have always wanted to try a smoked pork loin. Until now, I have only had it sliced or cubed and fried as a breakfast meat. Looking around online there are many recipes. However, I know this forum has some even better recommendations.

I am not interested in stuffing or butterflying on this first one, I don't think. I think I just want to marinade and/or rub and smoke.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I would Brine it and smoke it at 250 until the IT reaches 140 wrap it in foil tight and rest it in a cooler for 1 hr. before slicing.

I always brine pork loin or chops. I use 1/2 cup Morton Kosher salt, 1/2 cup brown or turbinado sugar, a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce and a couple of tablespoons of whatever rub I put on the outside.

As far as rub, I use a variety of popular BBQ rubs. My favorite is Plowboys BBQ Yardbird with Simply Marvelous Cherry or Apple a close second. A simple rub of salt, pepper, garlic and poultry seasoning is good, too.

I usually cook pork loin at 325 or so until it is 135 internal then let it rest before slicing. It will be 140 - 145 internal after resting.

But, it you want to cook at a lower temp I would do as Bludawg suggested.

Another option would be to cook it at 225 - 250 until it is 130 internal and then sear on all sides over a hot grill until it is 140 internal, then rest and slice.

I usually don't bother with the brine. I just cut into pieces and coat them in rub. Then into my 300 degree UDS with oak. When they get close to done I crank up the heat to make the outside nice and purty....easy peasy....

Last edited:
This video shows how easy stuffing can be. I am using (not in this video) and uncased chorizo now that i freeze to stiffen and stuff. It bastes the inside with a delectable taste... I also brine a bit. But even w/o brining the grease and flavor from the sausage is incredible.

[ame]http://youtu.be/Ab636AdLJI8[/ame]

walmart has something similar

0002733102225_180X180.jpg

This video shows how easy stuffing can be. I am using (not in this video) and uncased chorizo now that i freeze to stiffen and stuff. It bastes the inside with a delectable taste... I also brine a bit. But even w/o brining the grease and flavor from the sausage is incredible.

http://youtu.be/Ab636AdLJI8

Sweet or spicy Italian sausage is also great stuffed into a loin.

One note: If you stuff, make sure that you cook the sausage to 165. The sausage helps keep the pork moist so it won't dry out as it would if cooked to 165 without stuffing.

Back