• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wally world lump charcoal

Gasket

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was at wally world this afternoon and I noticed they had their own brand of lump charcoal. It was about 5 bucks for 6 and a half pounds. One was made primarily out of mesquite the other out of oak. I was a little apprehensive about buying any so I was wondering if any of the Brethren have ever used any of this stuff and how good is it? Let me know.

last time i was there i do not remember seeing that. i know their black bag briquettes are made by royal oak so i guess i would assume thats who makes the other stuff until i get more info. they do sell royal oak lump.
seems a bit expensive for what you mentioned though.

I was at wally world this afternoon and I noticed they had their own brand of lump charcoal. It was about 5 bucks for 6 and a half pounds. One was made primarily out of mesquite the other out of oak. I was a little apprehensive about buying any so I was wondering if any of the Brethren have ever used any of this stuff and how good is it? Let me know.

Oh come on now be a pioneer and take one for the team:grin: Buy a bag and let us know how you like it.

last time i was there i do not remember seeing that. i know their black bag briquettes are made by royal oak so i guess i would assume thats who makes the other stuff until i get more info. they do sell royal oak lump.
seems a bit expensive for what you mentioned though.

x2...wouldnt buy it for the price. I can get a good brand, 10# for $6.

Sent from Galaxy tab

That's pricey for sure. You can get Wicked Good Weekend Warrior shipped to your local Ace hardware for about $1/lb. Costco carries Stubbs lump which is pretty decent stuff for about 50cents/lb. Also, small bags of lump usually means small pieces in the bag. I would pass.

I find more & more with Walfart the Great Value brand is more than the name brand products. I don't shop there much I can get 20 lb of Cowboy lump for 14 bucks at True Value Hardware and 6.5 lb sacks at HEB for 4.85.

I havent seen Wally world brand Lump at my local store, will have to double check next time Im in there.

i was in my local wally world yesterday and they didnt have store brand lump. i did, however, see some RO. i picked up a bag of it. if i saw store brand i'd try it.

I was in need of lump and went to WW and all they had was Best of the West brand

It was not

tiny pieces and 1/4 of the bag was unusable.

learned my lesson on that

My normal brand is royal oak, around here it is seasonal so now there is none. Grabbed a bag of BGE and paid too much for it, lots of small stuff in bottom of bag. Next I got Wicked Good Weekend Warrior. So far out of that bag I've gotten 3 rocks,(no problem just removed them) and 1 piece of insulation (not so good) and still have half of it left. I have also gotten bad stuff in cowboy a couple of years ago so dont use it. I would try the wally world in a pinch but royal oak will still be my go to lump. And yes I know they make the BGE lump.

I go to Walmart about every couple weeks, I'll see if they got it. I know about 4 years ago I tried the house brand of briquettes, they sputtered and let out little sparks and fell apart easily after they were lit. They were more like ash briquettes. :mmph: But lump charcoal should behave better by default (other than sparks when lighting).

just bought some Band B brand lump coal from WW. Worked fantasitc Saturday

I did see the B and B brand and was curious to the quality. Will have to buy a bag of it and give it a try

I did see the B and B brand and was curious to the quality. Will have to buy a bag of it and give it a try

B&B oak lump is pretty much my go-to. I love that stuff! It does spark on lighting, but that doesn't really bother me too much.

Stopped by wally world again today, and I noticed that this brand of lump that I'm talking about was actually called best of the west brand lump. I never heard or seen this brand before in my neck of the woods. I thought it was wallyworlds own brand but I guess that's not the case. It was 4.59 for 6.6 pounds. Checked on nakedwhiz and they gave the mesquite lump a below average rating. The only brands of lump I have access to are RO (wallyworld) and cowboy (home depot and lowe's). The closest RD where I'm at (North east PA) is in Philly and that's over 90 minutes away! I just recently bought a membership to Sam's club so I'll see what's available there. In the meantime I stopped by a Wegman's and bought two bags of there lump. 10 lbs for 6.59. I heard here on the Brethren that it's not bad and may actually be RO. I'll give it a go and see how it is.

Back