First time grinding brisket (W/ burger Pr0n!)

chriscw81

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've heard grinding up brisket makes excellent burgers so today I'm trying it. Brisket is not cheap around here so I decided to try grinding a select brisky, rather than choice. I've got it all trimmed, cut up, and stiffening up in the freezer before the grind. For the folks that have done this before do you pay much attention on if the point and flat are thoroughly mixed. I'd love any insight or thoughts any of the brethren have. Here's some pics of the progress.

Before trimming

hy2yne5u.jpg

upa3e8ar.jpg

Trimmed up

u7eze8ur.jpg

u5eryja9.jpg

Cut up ready to stiffen up in the freezer

u7e9u8uz.jpg

More to come....

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
That looks very promising. What fat/lean ratio are you aiming for? What size plate do you plan to use?

I cut into slightly smaller chunks and I just sort of mix the chunks up. I don't worry too much about evenly mixing flat and point. I do grind as cold as possible, there are strings of connective tissue that bind up more when they get warm.

I grind a lot of brisket.
Just mix it up as you see fit.
No big deal either way.

I use the "large" plate, probably 3/8" or so, for a coarse grind and only do it once.
By the time you "handle" it for making patties and such, it will be fine!

Good Eats!!!

TIM

That looks very promising. What fat/lean ratio are you aiming for? What size plate do you plan to use?

I prefer a fattier burger but I don't have any previous experience to know if what I've got will end up too fatty. I was thinking a medium or small size plate? Any suggestions?

I cut into slightly smaller chunks and I just sort of mix the chunks up. I don't worry too much about evenly mixing flat and point. I do grind as cold as possible, there are strings of connective tissue that bind up more when they get warm.

Yep, I've got the metal parts of the grinder in the freezer. I like my meat to be partially frozen before grinding, I also think it works better. Not to mention, safety reasons. Man, I can't wait to try this burgers!

Chris--Lookie here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121196

You have trimmed up some already, so you may be at 80/20--but it is not "rocket science"! 8)

If you "fine grind" your brisket, you will wind up with hot dog texture.
If that is what you want......go for it. 8)

Good Eats!!

TIM

Thanks, Tim. I knew you'd be chiming in with good advice having seen your previous posts about grinding brisky.

Looks just right to me, of course, only the eating really tells

I will grind some rib trimmings and mix with some of the brisket for making meatballs.

And the results......

8y5e3u5u.jpg

tavu4edu.jpg

amumyqez.jpg

egu7y2yj.jpg

Definitely turned out some delicious burgers. The SM peppered cow set them over the top. I may never buy ground meat again!

Thanks for looking.

Chris

I add bacon to mine.

I have heart disease too though, so there is that.

I agree with Tim, 3/8" plate or so.

ive added bacon before with other meat i ground up and it was amazing!! unfortunately, today i forgot to add bacon. :cry:

Looks awesome!!!
I will have to try that!!

The best combination I've come up with is short ribs, skirt steak and about 2 slices of thick bacon per pound.

Got this mix from a cook in hermosa beach that started a high end burger joint that is killer.

I just acted like the dumb guy and asked him what meat he was using and he told me!

Best burgers I've ever made!!!

Looks awesome!!!
I will have to try that!!

The best combination I've come up with is short ribs, skirt steak and about 2 slices of thick bacon per pound.

Got this mix from a cook in hermosa beach that started a high end burger joint that is killer.

I just acted like the dumb guy and asked him what meat he was using and he told me!

Best burgers I've ever made!!!

i bet they were good!! last time i did this it was with short ribs, top round, and bacon. farkin' delicious!!!

Did you use a Kitchenaid attachment, or an actual meat grinding machine to do this? That's a lotta ground meat! Did you grind the whole packer? How long did it take to grind? Burgers look killer! :thumb:

I use a kitchen aid with the plastic attachment. Works great. But you do wand to cut your meat into small chunks and get them cold like was said here. Makes a big diffrance and can go real quick with no clogging issues that way.

I will grind each meat individually and then make each burger by portion control and mix each one by hand.

Back