Spatchcocked yardbird on the kettle

chriscw81

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Picked up the new model 22.5 OTG so I had to break it in. Covered my victim with some plowboys yardbird and cooked it at about 375. She's coming along nicely....

epuhebej.jpg

uhe4eqyz.jpg

ataze7uj.jpg

a8avadud.jpg

a3uqeju2.jpg

I'll try to get some more pron after it comes off......

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The pics aren't the best, I ran out time. Wifey is 7 months prego so she got a bit impatient. Overall I'm pleased with results. The apple wood added a real nice flavor.
a4y4yde9.jpg

pyjuqu7y.jpg

huqy4yja.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Chris

Looks great! I did 2 spatchcocked birds last night on my BGE indirect at 325. Came out great and I am thinking that is a real good temp for yardbirds....
Nice post!

That looks great.

I've heard overwhelmingly positve comments about Plowboy's Yardbird rub. I've never tried and my local guy is sold out. He said the holiday shoppers wiped him out.

I've got a couple cans ordered that should be here next week.

I'm spatching some more birds on Thursday, I believe....and wangs on Superbow Sunday.

I did some last week with Willingham's Cajun rub that turned out great. Really looking forward to the Plowboy's. I also ordered their beef rub and a can of their fur n' fin stuff as well as some of their 180 sauce.

The color on your bird is great, too. Have fun with the new grill and yeah, apple wood with chicken is great !!!

Looks great! I did 2 spatchcocked birds last night on my BGE indirect at 325. Came out great and I am thinking that is a real good temp for yardbirds....
Nice post!

325-350 is where I was with my two birds last week. My family really enjoyed them. Tender, juicy and just right.

Can't wait to get some more done on Tuesday or Thursday of next week.

Nice post!

Thanks Marty! I feel like 325-375 is where ya gotta be to get the best bird possible. I actually started out at around 375 and after the skin was looking nice I let it cruise at around 325. Yummy!

That looks great.

I've heard overwhelmingly positve comments about Plowboy's Yardbird rub. I've never tried and my local guy is sold out. He said the holiday shoppers wiped him out.

I've got a couple cans ordered that should be here next week.

I'm spatching some more birds on Thursday, I believe....and wangs on Superbow Sunday.

I did some last week with Willingham's Cajun rub that turned out great. Really looking forward to the Plowboy's. I also ordered their beef rub and a can of their fur n' fin stuff as well as some of their 180 sauce.

The color on your bird is great, too. Have fun with the new grill and yeah, apple wood with chicken is great !!!

You're gonna love the plowboys yardbird, it's good stuff. I love the color it adds too. I also like plowboys fin and feather.

You're gonna love the plowboys yardbird, it's good stuff. I love the color it adds too. I also like plowboys fin and feather.

Excellent !!!!

I'm eagerly awaiting this stuff arriving. My chicken rubs have just about run out....except for some Montreal Chicken rub that I have for rainy days.

My hunger is building now !!!!

Looks great! And I'm a big fan of the Yardbird too. Still working through the 5lb bag I bought a while ago.

Do you remember about how long you cooked your chicken? I haven't done a spatchcocked bird in quite a while and I'm trying to remember if it's something I can do on a weeknight easily for a late dinner ...

Looks delicious! I just made some of these up... in the OVEN! :sad: They were good, but I was looking forward to smoking them. I just didn't have the time with everything I had to do yesterday, and nothing else thawed out besides those chickens I had just bought.

Looks great! And I'm a big fan of the Yardbird too. Still working through the 5lb bag I bought a while ago.

Do you remember about how long you cooked your chicken? I haven't done a spatchcocked bird in quite a while and I'm trying to remember if it's something I can do on a weeknight easily for a late dinner ...

I can't remember exactly but I think it was about 1.5 cook time. I ended up dialing the temp down a bit in the end though because I didn't want the skin to burn.

Nice looking bird!

I never really monitor my temp when I am cooking spatchcocked chickens. I just bank about 2/3 of a chimney of lit coals to one side of the OTG behind some fire bricks throw some chunks on and let 'er rip with the vents all the way open. I might rotate the bird once during the cook. I don't even put it under bricks any more.

Seems to pretty reliably be done after about 50-60 minutes. Next time I do it, I might put a probe in to see what my OTG is running. I am guessing it is 375-400. Next time, I'll see if I detect a different keeping the temp a little lower.

Nice looking bird!

I never really monitor my temp when I am cooking spatchcocked chickens. I just bank about 2/3 of a chimney of lit coals to one side of the OTG behind some fire bricks throw some chunks on and let 'er rip with the vents all the way open. I might rotate the bird once during the cook. I don't even put it under bricks any more.

Seems to pretty reliably be done after about 50-60 minutes. Next time I do it, I might put a probe in to see what my OTG is running. I am guessing it is 375-400. Next time, I'll see if I detect a different keeping the temp a little lower.

I actually use the Weber charcoal holders now only because they make it easier to clean up and save charcoal. Before I got the holders I used your method and it worked great. I did have to keep my lower vent almost closed to keep the temp below 400 sometimes, but not always. Man, I love my kettle! I wanna be buried with it! It's smoking a tri-tip for me right now as I type.

Back