Is this really done in the South?

YEP...South,North,West and East.It USED to be something special.

Interesting, I have heard of Chicken and Waffles but haven't tried it. I saw on DDD guy tried them and the waffle batter had malted milk in it which according to him left a crust on the waffle to prevent it from getting soggy. I'm going to have to try it...

From Wikipedia.......
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_and_waffles"]Chicken and Waffles[/ame]

The exact origins of the dish are unknown; there are several versions of its origins.

One version:

"As unusual as it might seem, the marriage of chicken and waffles actually has deep roots. Thomas Jefferson brought a waffle iron back from France in the 1790s and the combination began appearing in cookbooks shortly thereafter. The pairing was enthusiastically embraced by African Americans in the South. For a people whose cuisine was based almost entirely on the scraps left behind by landowners and plantation families, poultry was a rare delicacy; in a flapjack culture, waffles were similarly exotic. Chicken and waffles for decades has been a special-occasion meal in African American families, often supplying a hearty Sunday morning meal".[2]

Another version:

Some historians believe the dish goes back to the late 19th century, when Southern African-Americans, recently freed from slavery, began migrating to the Northern United States. According to author John T. Edge: "My guess is that it comes from the days when someone would go out in the morning and wring a chicken's neck and fry it for breakfast. Preparing a breakfast bread with whatever meat you have on the hoof, so to speak, comes out of the rural tradition".[1]

Benny's Home Cooked.com notes:

"It is interesting to note that this combination and/or recipe does not appear in Abby Fisher's 1881 cookbook What Mrs. Fisher Knows About Old Southern Cooking. Mrs. Fisher was a former slave and her book is generally considered the first cookbook written by an African-American. These foods appear (but not together) in Mrs. Porter's 1871 cookbook Mrs. Porter's Southern Cookery Book.[3]

That's soul food. Yeah, I know. Everyone wants to claim the "soul food" label nowadays. But, they are just posers. Chicken and waffles is soul food. Southern ethnic food. Not Italian. Not Irish. Not Eastern European.

It's authentic soul food.

Interesting...I didn't realize that "soul food" was limited to only a single, particular region of the country???

I never saw it growing up in the South, but there's a place here called Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles (actually 2 locations) that I've had some great meals at. It's been a long time since I've been there - I need to go back.

Interesting...I didn't realize that "soul food" was limited to only a single, particular region of the country???

I think that soul food, although it is an American style of food found all over the country today, has roots in the areas that once held slaves, and once harbored freed slaves. Yeah, it is everywhere today, but there was a migration of that style of cooking. But, it started with the slaves and freedmen.

Like most foods, I like some soul food, and not so much other soul food. But, I appreciate the history of soul food, whether I like it or not.

One of the best things about living in the "melting pot" is the incredible food we get to eat.

CD

It might be southern in the way it has the ingredients from the south, with southern fried chicken, or waffles or the sausage gravy, but I've never seen it offered all together....not that I wouldn't try it. I like all the ingredients, and usually have at least the ingredients in my meals at some point during a month of eating.

Chicken and waffles is an ethnic tradition, that is most prominent in the East and Southeast. It's old school soul food. It is good, in a weird kind of way. It is a sweet and savory kind of thing. I don't think it is normally served with sausage gravy. I haven't seen it served that way.

CD

Plus 1. It makes a great breakfast, but I need biscuits for the gravy

No. It isn't from the south, and I'd know.
Never seen it my life!
I'd hit it tho:becky:

Last edited:
Gladys Knight makes the best Chicken and Waffles...ask Adam Richman.

slideshow_1002305210_LVgradys_60432_213444.jpg

mvf_430_atlanta.jpg

I think that soul food, although it is an American style of food found all over the country today, has roots in the areas that once held slaves, and once harbored freed slaves. Yeah, it is everywhere today, but there was a migration of that style of cooking. But, it started with the slaves and freedmen.

Like most foods, I like some soul food, and not so much other soul food. But, I appreciate the history of soul food, whether I like it or not.

One of the best things about living in the "melting pot" is the incredible food we get to eat.

CD

You're correct Casey, I don't disagree that the soul food cuisine has deep roots that go back to our dark days of slavery. However, the North had legal slavery a century before it was established in the South:

http://www.slavenorth.com/slavenorth.htm

Therefore, it isn't specific to just the south in that regard. The items on the menu may have been different because of regional crops, but soul food isn't and can't be contained to just a particular region.

With all of that said...I love fried chicken and waffles!!! Haven't thought of the gravy aspect, but will definately be trying it, along with some sunny side eggs right over the top with a splash of Frank's!!!

NSFW - Language - Samual L Jackson language...

That's soul food. Yeah, I know. Everyone wants to claim the "soul food" label nowadays. But, they are just posers. Chicken and waffles is soul food. Southern ethnic food. Not Italian. Not Irish. Not Eastern European.

It's authentic soul food.

It's gangsta...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3osli3y94I0"]Jackie Brown (3/12) Movie CLIP - One Dirty Ass Trunk (1997) HD - YouTube[/ame]

I didn't mention any regions in my post except in regards to the origin.

It's kind of like "Southern Rock." Sure "Rock" music is from all over the country nowadays. But, it's origin is the South from Southerners. In that regard, all "Rock" music is "Southern Rock."

Massachusettes was the first colony to "officially" legalize slavery in 1641. But, the first slaves in the British colonies were brought to Jamestown, Virginia in 1619.

Technically, what is commonly referred to as "soul food" is actually Southern-style cooking originated by African Americans. Sometime in the 1960's, that style of cooking was renamed "soul food" in honor of the people that prepared food in the south during the slave period up until and before the civil war ended and the abolition of slavery was the law of the land.

I hate to muddle up things with facts of history, but I just did.

:icon_bigsmil

Ir originated with the slaves because it was cheap and easy to take into the field. Fried chicken could be put into their pockets before they left, and chicken was the cheapest source of protein available.

There are a couple places in Atlanta that have chicken and waffles, I think even a lot of the IHOP restaurants are serving it now. There is a corner diner in Decatur that does awesome breakfasts that serves it and it rocks. Never been to gladys' place, but I have a mini heart-attack every time I eat C&W, so it's a seldom treat.

Then again, I also cover mine in gravy, hot sauce, and syrup, so I guess that could have something to do with it.

I've never had it with the sausage gravy before but it looks good.

There is a little Mom-n-Pop joint down the road from me that has it. They do a twist though. They fry chicken, pull the meat off and put it in the waffle while it is cooking. Good stuff.

The first time I ever heard of it was watching Travel Channel or Food Network. I like the idea...but I dont know about the gravy with waffles....gravy and chicken, sure...but with mash taters ..not waffles :grin:

Back