Timing question

Buckscent

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
If it takes 12 hrs for a brisket and butts, when they are done you take them off the smoker. Then for Ribs it takes 3-4 hrs and chicken 2 hrs how do you time it all for the box's so it wont be cold. When you take the butts and/or briskets off you have at least a 4 hour wait time till the ribs are done... If you keep them wrapped in a cooler until turn in will they not still be cooking? untill you unwrap them? I just need some timming help

Thanks

i cook butts and brisket overnight in one WSM. they can stay in there all morning until they are done. then they rest in a cooler for as long as need be.

ribs and chicken on the other WSM.

when i cooked on only 1 WSM, i started the brisket and butts a little earlier to get them off in the morning for chicken and ribs to go on.

Assuming you are wrapping while cooking, open for 5 to 10 minutes to let the steam out before putting in cambro.

Butts and Brisket will hold in cambro/cooler for a while. Like Ford said, make sure you open up the wrap and let them vent for a while before putting them in storage.

For us, all meats start and finish at different times. We'll hold our big meats (pork/brisket) in a cambro until turn-in, but prefer to turn in chicken and ribs as soon as they are off the cooker.

The reality is...it's a timing thing that takes a lot of practice to balance out. We follow a fairly strict, printed-out timeline based on our practice cooks and past comps. Sometimes, it still doesnt work.

I also agree with the others on venting by opening the foil up. It helps....

Best of luck.

Back