90-100 folks..1st time catering

BoneDaddy's

Take a breath!
Reaction score
This is for a buddies party, for which I usually cook for free as a favor. This year he wants me to do a bit more and get paid. So here is what I told him..

option 1
pulled pork, chx & ribs
3 sauces
corn bread
beans
slaw
paper plates, napkins, etc....
$12-13/person

option 2
adding brisket to option 1
+1.50/person

I do not want this to turn in to a business, but so many folks are asking...I want to be fair on pricing and not screw anyone.

what do you think?

are you serving the food etc or just cooking it? do you have to supply chaffing dishes etc.? if it's a friend then the price is fair. are you looking to turn a profit?
i do some catering on the side and for ribs, two meats, two sides and rolls i charge 15$

I want to make some profit, but not kill my buddy. I will provide trays, paper products and tables...

cater

are you serving the food etc or just cooking it? do you have to supply chaffing dishes etc.? if it's a friend then the price is fair. are you looking to turn a profit?
i do some catering on the side and for ribs, two meats, two sides and rolls i charge 15$

1970...when you say 'ribs' -- what does that mean? ALL the ribs a 'per head' can eat?

Just as a reference, I am doing a wedding reception for 150 next month. 2 meats (pork/chicken), 3 sides (beans, slaw, mac & cheese), buns, 2 sauces, and sweet/unsweet tea. We supply the utensils, plates, cups & napkins. We are getting $20 pp. The reception is over 1 hr away also so that price includes travel expense.
I agree at least $15-16 pp to make a small profit, especially when cooking 3 meats.
Cost x 33% - 34% is a good starting point. Once you get that figure you can see how much you want to discount for friends/family.

You have a family like that too. I would be happy to get anything more than the satisfaction of cooking out of them. I have turned into a charity.
They kill me every chance they get....I did my nephews grad party a couple years ago, paid for most of the food too. the kicker is his father noticed i was selling my ten year old deville, so he bought it. the punch line here is he still owes us 1500 bucks for the car! I have buddies that still tease me about that one. They say things like," when you running the cadillac special again"?....

I'm getting kinda tired of the "free" stuff that actually means, "free ride".

Back