Injection question

Bbqin fool

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new top the competition circuit and was curious as to how early to do you inject your big meats? Right after meat inspection? Right before going on cooker? Somewhere in between? Thanks!

We've done as much as 12 hours and more recently as little as 5 hours. Because my injection ingriedients were not consistent I can't say whther one was better than the other. I can our greatest success to date came with only a 5 hour marinading time. My experience level though is equal to or just above yours, so I'm by no means an accomplished compeition cook.

I inject, then apply the rub, then go light the fire, so it's about 1 hour ahead of time...

i would have to say it depends on the product your using and how your cooking.

but for me, i cook the big meats overnight and i inject @ 6-8 hours before cooking.

you could probably do more or less and be fine, but i like to just get sh*t done and out of the way.

For us, we had been injecting our pork 6-8 hours ahead of time. The last contest was our best placing and we did it 2-3 hours ahead of time.

I get my meat inspected ASAP and get started on trimming, injecting and rubbing the big meats right away. The longer the flavorings have to be in contact with the meat, the better IMO. Chicken and ribs are a different story since the flavors don't need to penetrate as deep (hehe...penetrate..), but I like the big meats to sit in that flavor as long as possible.

Back