Diverse cook, inspired by the Brethren

Fat Woody

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
OK - trying a few new recipes and methods today and hopefully posting some coherent methodology as I go along.

I have been wanting to make a real corned beef and pastrami for a while now, so first order of business this morning was to retrieve my brisket from it's pickling bath. I picked up a smallish (9 lb) packer a few days ago and separated the point and flat.

picture.php

picture.php

The point would be made into corned beef and the flat would become pastrami. Using the recipe in Michael Ruhlman's Charcuterie (with Brian Polcyn) for pastrami, I brined/pickled the two pieces for three days. The point was simply cooked by braising in a covered roasting pan in a slow oven (250*) for about three hours. I wanted to produce a "standard corned beef" as a benchmark and this was my first attempt, so the oven was the way to go. The resulting product is great, excuse me for saying so myself, but it really is good!! Here's the finished corny:

picture.php

Part two of the brisket equation was the pastrami and for that the only differences were cooking it on the smoker with a 50-50 rub of ground black pepper and coriander seed. The pastrami went on the smoker at 9:00 AM and is still getting happy, more on that later.

picture.php

One of the other things I wanted to do was test a couple of new flavor profiles for our comp. pork. I had a small (4 lb) bone-in roast and my competition partner-in-crime Alan brought over a 7 lb butt to make for his dad's 90th birthday celebration. His dad lis a big time pulled pork aficionado! Kim and Andy from Smoke on Wheels were kind enough to hook me up with some of their Pork Marinade and Injection (thanks Kim!), so inserting shameless plug here:

picture.php

IT'S GOOD STUFF, GO GET SOME!

Combined that with some AJ and a new rub (one I have not used for pork before) and marinated both overnight. Strained the marinade this morning and injected both butts, then rubbed with a slightly modified version of Myron's Basic BBQ Rub from his book Smoking with Myron Mixon (also good stuff!).
I am using the pan method as we have had some success with it in the past.

picture.php

Into the smoker around 9:30 and targeting 250* for the cook. The third component will be beef ribs for dinner tonight, so stay tuned for updates...which frankly, may not come until tomorrow, depending on how many beers I've had!

We've been stockpiling beef ribs for a couple of weeks since Wally World has had them for 1.88/lb. Alan weighed in again with some short ribs from his butcher friend in Topeka and I got them on the smoker around 1:30. Both were marinated in tomato juice, soy and worsty over night. The longer back ribs were rubbed down with Dr. BBQ's Big Time BBQ Rub and the Wally Specials with our proprietary Fullwood Bros' Rub-A-Bubba.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Here's a few more shots. The back ribs with a liberal dose of Dr. BBQ's Big Time BBQ Rub:

picture.php

A shot of the old Brinkmann Lefty, loaded:

picture.php

Pastrami was started with oak and once the butts went on I started mixing in hickory and pecan. For the majority of the cook smoker temps were between 230-250. Everything is off the Lefty now and all turned out well; here's a look at the finished products.

Pastrami - nice peppery crust, looking forward to lots of sammies this weekend:

picture.php

The two pork roasts, somewhere between slicing and pulling tender, great flavor from the SOW marinade:

picture.php

Beef ribs - tender and juicy after two and a half hours of smoking and another two hours braising in beer to finish:

picture.php

picture.php

Thanks for checking it out!

Additional gratuitous pron of finished products

Adding a few final pix of the finished products.

Pastrami sammies for lunch today:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Corned beef:
picture.php

Pulled pork bits (cold):
picture.php

Great looking grub you got there! That sammy is righteous!!!! :thumb:

Cheers

Back