KCBS CBJ Class in FL Oct. 17

chad

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
There will be a KCBS CBJ class in Plant City, FL, on Oct. 17th.

That's a Monday and it will run from 6pm-10pm.

They are holding it at the Plant City PD so maybe they know something about the judges?? The instructor will be Ed (BBQ Challenge) Roith.

Fees are $40 for KCBS members and $65 for non-members - this includes a one year membership for the new guys.

Please make your check out to the Plant City Chamber of Commerce and mail it the chamber at their address, Plant City Chamber of Commerce P. O. Box CC Plant City, Florida 33564.

Info or RSVP to Amy Nizamoff at amy@plantcity.org or Mark Poppell at Mark@poppellinsurance.com

I'm sending my stuff in tomorrow. FBA and KCBS - can MIM certification be far behind? :D

can MIM certification be far behind?

Good luck with that one, Dave. I've tried for the past year and half now. Very few and far between.

:D I didn't say anytime soon!! There are lots of MIM events in GA and even N. FL - so all I have to do is coordinate it!!

Re: RE: KCBS CBJ Class in FL Oct. 17

chad said:
:D I didn't say anytime soon!! There are lots of MIM events in GA and even N. FL - so all I have to do is coordinate it!!

The Winter Park "Pig in The Park" event here in Orlando used to be a MIM sanctioned contest. I assume it still is.

RE: Re: RE: KCBS CBJ Class in FL Oct. 17

The Winter Park "Pig in The Park" event here in Orlando used to be a MIM sanctioned contest. I assume it still is.

It's not listed on the calendar for 2005 - but then things do change year-to-year with some events.

Marianna, FL, did an inaugural MIM event this year.

I heard an interesting "worst nightmare" story about a MIM event:

The competitor is all set and ready for his "on site" and the judge shows up. She listens to his pitch and he offers his ribs - she looks at them and does nothing - he asks what the problem is and her answer was (I'm not kidding) "I don't eat ribs in public" - as you can imagine he was shocked and asked why - seems they are "messy" and she NEVER eats ribs in public.

He went and found a rep - made his case and got a new judge - well the guy listens to the pitch - looks at the ribs and says "they are really beautiful ribs, but I'm vegetarian".

I'm thinking the competitor was thinking "Just shoot me!" Two pant-load judges in a row!! :D You would think the judges would be vetted just a bit better!

Damn, Dave, thats horrible. I hope these were not certified judges? How could a veggie-terror-ian get through a judging class?
Makes you wonder. :shock:

He was a local photo journalist - somehow he got picked to be one of the "judges" and maybe was given a short course - I don't know those details.

I do know the story is TRUE! :D Edit: forgot to mention that this was AT Memphis in May - not a qualifier!

I've heard other judges say "I don't really like (fill in a meat or flavor component) but I LOVE judging". Can somebody 'splain that to me? :mrgreen:

It does facinate me: the number of judges that DO NOT cook bbq either at home or competition (though they are required to cook with a team one time during the year - especially if they want to ever make Master Judge) and so really don't understand what they are eating or what they are looking for - they have what "they like" stuck in their heads and that's how they judge.

Fortunately most are NOT like that - but enough are to make my 'rhoids itch! :twisted:

I know the source of that quote from Chad.
I give the source an "extremely high reliablity" rating. :lol:

I do feel that within the FBA and KCBS that they are taking some steps to get the Judges trained better and to get some of the "I demand sauce (or whatever)" out of it.

But, dealing with humans--it is gonna take forever and will never be perfect :twisted:

This situation is componded by the fact that our "sport" is expanding much more rapidly than the "pool" of judges can support it.
Especially if Judges remain volunteers who pay their own way.
So, we get "celebrity" and "quickie course" judges.
We, the competetors, pay for that :twisted:

I just hope for improvement and--most importantly--some objectivity to creep in--someday. :lol:

TIM

Celebrity judges get ribs with french dressing on them.

Another thing that I heard about the actual MIM contest was that you had to pay a fee to judge. Anybody know this for a fact?

Let me rephrase:

I've seen a judge's application that had a $125 fee for being a "rib judge" - off hand I don't remember the event.

I'm "in" for the class on the 17th!

YAAAHOOOOOO
icon_lol.gif

TIM

I feel so funny reading this thread - I just got home from "cooking" with the MoKan Meatheads at Hermann. Mostly I am a KCBS judge who Q's in his backyard and judges.

Guy told me that you should "cook" with a team early in your judging "career" and brother Wayne was nice enough to let me mess around on his site and drink his Margaritas.

I also had the privelege of meeting brother Spicewine and bunch of others.

I didn't work as hard as the REAL team members but when I got home I thought I would collapse.

I didn't work as hard as the REAL team members but when I got home I thought I would collapse.

Welcome to the reality of competeting
icon_lol.gif

Really glad you got a chance to go out and do it.
And thanks to Wayne for the opportuinity
icon_lol.gif

Makes us all better and stronger and better--Judges and teams alike.

TIM

By 10pm this evening I will add KCBS CBJ to my resume'.:biggrin:

Ed Roith is doing the class and I'm pretty sure it's full up. Now I'll have even more reason to go to other parts of the country for BBQ competitions!:biggrin:

FL has a few KCBS events: Lakeland, Plant City, and Key Largo are the ones I know about - hopefully, a few more will be added.

Judging is a great way to stay involved when $$$ or time keep you from competing!

In the last 12 months Tim and I competed at Mulberry, FL (FBA); Plant City, FL (KCBS); Sebring, FL (FBA); Mobile, AL (KCBS); and Dillard, GA (KCBS). Additionally, Tim traveled north to cook with Ray, Dr. BBQ.

I judged at Minneola, FL (FBA-State Championship); Wachula, FL (FBA); Winter Haven, FL (FBA); Lake Alfred, FL (FBA); and Mulberry, FL (FBA).

Tim also judged at Minneola and he did a road trip to Barnesvile, GA for an FBA event.

Throw in the cook school weekend I attended back in July and we've had a pretty full year on the BBQ trail.

Judging is a way to pay back something to the organizations that make all this stuff happen. I really encourage you guys to get certified and help make a difference in our "sport". :biggrin: Hopefully, the days of competing without a full panel of certified judges is coming to an end.

Southern Brethren may not be able, financially, to cook at very many events in 2006 but I'll definately be hitting the road to judge.:razz:

Geez! You guys just never let up. :biggrin:

I've been judging for about a year and don't expect to gain a lot of "insight".

I'm just getting another association's certification. The difference between FBA and KCBS in minimal - scoring range varies a bit and FBA doesn't require that you take an oath before you crap all over the teams!! :twisted:

Meeting Ed Roith should be interesting.

OK I’ll bite!

Class was OK!!! The food they gave us to judge was very poor.
I took the class to help my cooking and possibly learn some insight as to what they teach the judge to look for. It was all by the book with no real mystery.
I expect I will learn more from my peers by actually judging a contest.

I agree with Jimmy - the class was OK. We had about 30 people and of that, I think 8 were competitors. Ed Roith was the instructor and was ably assisted by a second Master Judge and a couple of reps.

The food was real....average! :biggrin: No effort was made to glaze, sauce, nothing! But, the guys that prepared it gave it a good effort and had enough for the 90 boxes.

The guys prepping the boxes got hammered - these were NOT representative of what is normally seen at an event - skimpy portions, really weird "presentation", etc. But, the critiques at the tables and the group critiques helped define some of the "issues".

If all the KCBS instructors are pounding basics like Ed was then KCBS is coming around with a crop of more recent judges that will at least make the effort to be objective.

We'll never see true objectivity but balance is being improved and KCBS is tracking low-ball and high-ball judges. It's definately a start.

Like Jimmy implied - if you take the class and don't go out and judge you really won't get a true picture of what the judges are expecting.

The city did a good job of bringing in the press - the regional cable news outlet was there (Anne called me while I was on the road home that the story was already on the air) along with a photog and writer for the St. Pete Times. Hopefully it'll be in the Thursday "Food" section.

It was fun - now I'm dual certified. :eek:

Back