NJ state bbq championship

tuvok42

Reaction score
I've been trying to enter the NJ BBQ Championships. I understand there is a pecking order as to who gets an invitation. Last years winners, placers and participants. I just want to get at the end of the line. None of my emails have been answered. Any ideas or am i just too early. I have to pick my vacation weeks soon.:crazy:

Jersey had 3 contests last year, all qualifers. I think only wildwood was filled with returning teams first. You can put in apps for all of them.. its mostly first come first serve. These were last years.

09/24/11
to
09/25/11Que by the Sea Seaside Heights, NJ
STATE CHAMPIONSHIPContact: Maria Maruca, PO Box 43, Seaside Heights, NJ 08751
Phone: 732-854-8000. Fax: 732-854-8002. sshbid@optimum.net
KCBS Reps: RICHARD C PRESTON, GENE GOYCOCHEA Prize Money: $11000.00 CBJ Percentage: 100%Grand Champion: THREE MEN AND A BABY BACK
Results In Number of Teams: 48 High Score: 660.5714
07/29/11
to
07/30/11BBQ & Blues in the Park Mount Holly, NJ
STATE CHAMPIONSHIPContact: Kim Burkus Phone: 609-784-0591. bbqandbluesinthepark@ymail.com
KCBS Reps: DON HARWELL, DEBBY HARWELL Prize Money: $5250.00 CBJ Percentage: 96%Grand Champion: Gone Hoggin.com
Results In Number of Teams: 45 High Score: 660.5716
07/08/11
to
07/10/11New Jersey State Barbecue Championship North Wildwood, NJ
STATE CHAMPIONSHIPContact: Eric Shenkus Phone: 609-523-6565. njbbq@njbbq.com
KCBS Reps: GENE GOYCOCHEA, DEBBY HARWELL, DON HARWELL Prize Money: $8500.00 CBJ Percentage: 100%Grand Champion: Fat Angel BBQ
Results In Number of Teams: 66 High Score: 683.4284

I think it's just too early if you're talking about Wildwood. They usually send an email to the returning teams first, and then open it up to others. You just have to keep an eye on their website. One of the returning teams usually posts something on here when they heare. I know it doesn't help with picking your vacation. I have to bid next week for vacations and it's hard sometimes because it's early. Returning comps I believe had to have their request into KCBS by Dec 1st so look on their site for those that are scheduled.

the top 2/3rd finishers from last year get first offer to return, bottom 3rd go back into lottory drawing with all new applications. jan.1st is when you can apply for an entry form.

Last edited:
Wildwood is a nice venue, the sites are a tight 20 x 20 no extra room, which for some teams require parking cars out on the streets. This can be challenging depending on when you arrive. The first year we did it it was over 100 degrees and it was on pavementIt. We did it in 2009, and I found the organizers for the most part absent throughout the weekend. We gave up our spot in 2010 opted for a different comp. However we are going to get our names on the list for this year and give it another try. It could have only improved. It's a convenient location for the MABA teams, not too far from Md, Philly, and tris-state area.

They had used postmark dates on your entry as to the pecking order. last year we had no problem getting back into it, but then decided on going to another comp.

Mt. Holly is a good comp as well, has become large, last year around 50 teams we there.

We did Wildwood last year for the first time, it was a great time and plan to go back next year. Yes, the sites are a strict 20x20, but we made it work quite well for us with plenty of room for family and friends to hang out. The contest is in a paved parking lot, but its right on the beach (seperated by a sea wall) and this year the weather was not too hot and the breeze was awesome. I went through my old emails from last year and it looks like we got the team listing at the end of April and I think only 2 or 4 teams got left out after it was all said and done. Get your app in early and you should have no problem getting in. Good luck!

Thanks everyone, for the info. Look for the Honey Bears at the NJBBQ Wildwood, good lord willing and the creek don't rise:)

Back