View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Default Traditional Thanksgiving... fried turkey pr0n ala Alton Brown

So after we were done with the "traditional" Thanksgiving fare of chicken tikka from the tandoor, with kaali dal, and lamb dum pukht biryani on Friday, we fried a turkey on Sat. I set up a turkey derrick ala Alton Brown with a 6' ladder, 2 pulleys and rope. It rained all day Saturday and I was getting a little frantic, but decided I wasn't going to let Mother Nature deprive me of my fried bird. The yard was a soggy boggy mess, and gale force winds were blowing, so I set-up my canopy with a side panel in one corner of the yard where the fence would protect the burner from the wind and fried away underneath it - figured if the canopy burned up it would be far better then burning my garage or house down. My wife was much happier with this arrangement. The turkey was an organic 14# turkey from Costco. Injected with Tony C's Creole butter injectable marinade, and rubbed with Todd's Dirt. The bird fried for 42mins (3mins per pound) at 300°F (53°F outside so couldn't get it hotter) and rested for 30mins. Used 4.5 gallons of peanut oil from Costco, and the bird and oil just about fit in the pot. Measured the oil as recommended by putting the bird in the pot earlier in the day, filling it with water, taking the bird out and then marking the level of the water to figure outhow much oil would be needed. It was farkin good !!

Pic 1 Turkey in the fryer

Pic 2 The turkey derrick

Pic 3 Turkey done and resting

Pic 4 Side view

Pic 5 The bird ready to be carved up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turkey frying 1.jpg (74.4 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg turkey frying 3.jpg (53.0 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg turkey resting 1.jpg (63.5 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg turkey lateral.jpg (65.1 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg turkey ready 1.jpg (95.8 KB, 201 views)
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote