Maple Leaf Lump Charcoal Source

Joesuits4

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a source for Maple Leaf lump? Can't seem to find one even on the Canada BBQ forum.

Thanks!!

I had some that I got last year in Whistler BC (25 lbs)- I really liked it and put out an APB to all my Canadian friends in BC and most had never heard of it. When I was in Langley BC, I saw some at a hardware store in 8 lb bags for $16 CDN!!! Too steep for me!

I have a bunch of Maple Leaf Natural briqs that are comparable to Stubbs and Rancher, that I got in a craigslist deal - an Egghead bought a couple pallets of the lump and briqs from a stove shop that went out of business and kept the lump for himself.

Good stuff if you can find it!

All you need is a source of maple. It's easy to make your own lump.

I purchase mine from "Ontario Gas BBQ" in Toronto, $19.99 a bag. You can call Charbon De Bois Feuille Erable (the company) direct, 418-329-2977. Can you speak Canadian French? :confused: Hopefully someone their speaks english, :p.

Maple leaf is the name not the content. Birch, beach, oak and of course maple can be found in the bag. It definitely rates above Royal Oak(which isn't all oak either) but not by enough to pay a premium for it.
It is best to buy it by the skid or directly off a skid as handling seems to break it down easily. You certainly dont want to courier it.
ML is my favourite lump but I won't pay a premium for it. Last year I was able to buy a skid for $.55/lb and I thought that was good. I haven't been able to do that this year and at $.83/lb my local store warehouses Royal Oak.
ML is made in Quebec Canada and maybe the brethren from Quebec or Ottawa/Hull may be able to source it cheaper. Maybe our New Brunswick Brethren may have a better chance as I think mine was shipped from Riviere du Loup(sp)

The Home Hardware chain sells it in Ontario, lump and briquettes. I use the bricks and much prefer it to Royal Oak.

Back