The result of my wife's uncle's "Rib cook".

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Oh please pray for me this upcoming Saturday. We've been invited over to my wife's uncle's house to celebrate Mother's Day weekend for my wife's grandmother.

Quick background. My wife's uncle is the one that laughs at the thought of "smoking" ribs or pork butt on a smoker for hours. He has told me each time he gets a chance that "I can do it in quicker time in the oven or crockpot, not spend all day and it tastes just as good or better."

Well low and behold this weekend he's conveniently doing ribs. He does his in the oven wrapped in foil then throws them on a gasser grill for the last ten minutes and baptizes them in sauce. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt what's going to happen. While eveybody is eating he will (in a loud voice) single me out and ask "How do they taste? They're just as good as yours aren't they? And I don't have to sit there and spend all day doing it." Because that's how this jackazz is. Yet my wife has already instructed me to simply bite the bullet and tell him they are great and not to say anything and if he's asks if they are as good as mine just tell him yes and move on. I don't know if I can do this. :doh: I really don't. I understand not starting an argument or an awkward moment over something as silly as ribs but I hate to give this guy ANY satisfaction. Oh Brethren please pray for me this week. :sick:

Well, here's what happened. I went into this thinking he was doing spare ribs or baby backs. We get there and he's doing country style ribs on the grill. So a HUGE sigh of relief comes over me because this is truly an apples and oranges type scenario. But what happened next was truly embarrassing for him. He fires up his gasser, sprinkles some store bought rub on the CS ribs and puts them on the gasser. He had his little timer sitting there and with about two minutes left he starts baptizing them in Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. Here's where it starts going down hill for him. When the timer goes off he picks up his knife and fork and begins cutting each one of the ribs open and checking to see if they are done. I was standing right there and could tell they were ready before he ever cut into them. As expected the ribs dried out like leather shoe. And as expected there were a lot of leftovers of the CS ribs. I ate one little piece and could hardly finish it. Dry to the core. He had also bought some potato salad and slaw from Wal-Mart. Rather than serving them as is he decided to "doctor them up". The potato salad tasted a like a salt block as did the slaw. There was A TON of food left over. They were trying to get people to take some home and NOT ONE person would take any of it. I kind of felt sorry for the guy because he was walking around as people ate fishing for compliments. For the most part people were nice and said it was great. As did I. I told him everything was good, though I didn't eat much of anything. It was pretty bad. But the proof was in the puddin' so to speak. The food he cooked was barely touched and the chips, dip and bought desserts were gobbled up with NONE OF IT left.

As a guest in the man's home you handled it perfectly! But...

I would be looking for an excuse to invite the very same group of people over to my house for BBQ as soon as possible.

Thanks for the follow up. I was wondering how this turned out for you.
Sounds like it all worked itself out. Bravo for being kind.:thumb:

Just goes to show.....there really IS no need after all to go "low 'n' slow", eh? Pork ribs can, indeed, be blasted with high heat on a gasser.:rolleyes::crazy::heh:

Nice that you didn't rub his nose in it... I'm sure you might have felt like it for a while. I'm just wondering down the track if he still gives you a hard time over your BBQ... then you can let him have it!

Cheers!

Bill

in the end. i dont' think anyone of us would of done anything different.

i have no problem with storebought sauces, rubs, sides. but i also know that most of those sides at the store are seasoned and salted to the hilt. to mess with them generally means disaster.

country style ribs are tough too. lots of potentially dry spots on them. you just have to pick through the ones and eat at the money muscle.

Is he the type that you can't convince that he is wrong by nicely asking him to come to your house and watch you smoke ribs and see for himself? Without belittleing him, educate him. It may help with your relationship with him all the way around. It may score some points with the wife too.

I feel for you, thank god I am the only one in the family that makes Q...

You did well, Kudos! I usually end up looking like an ******* is those circumstances. No excuse for bad BBQ its just too easy! :doh: and if it aint easy for you and you mess it up, get a book, get some help, get a clue or get a stove. :heh:

cheers

I'm glad you handled yourself, it is hard to bite your lip. I've been waiting all weekend for the follow up.

Your poor wife's uncle! But, you handled it well.

Like the saying goes" It takes a better man to show a good man what you are made of". You gave him an "A" for effort even though he may have failed on the delivery. Good luck with the rest of your get-togethers.

Congratulations, you handled that very well.

It occurs to me that there was nothing terribly wrong with the tools, just his technique.

Maybe it would be a good idea to invite your wife's uncle onto this forum, he may learn something about 'Q (Lord knows I have!), end up thanking you, and serve you something great next time you are at his place.:-D

It was great follwing this story- I'm glad you took the high road.

Way to slide Bama, it certainly sucked for the big guy though. I'm thinking he was crushed. Now is the time to educate him. To your crib invite:thumb:, a beer or two and food.

Back