• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Backyard on the Lake - Patterson, CA (lots of pics)

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I spent a few hours out at the Backyard on the Lake competition today.

There were several Brethren present either judging or competing in at least 2 of 4 categories.

Here's some Brethren I had the pleasure of seeing today:

huminie and chuckwagonbbqco:
IMG_7660.jpg

momb (her son bbq lover was present as well but I missed getting his pic):
IMG_7714.jpg

BigDaddyJT:
IMG_7733.jpg

BBQ PD:
IMG_7717.jpg

chuckwagonbbqco and smokinyankees:
IMG_7690.jpg

yelonutz sportin' the BBQ-Brethren cap:
IMG_7703.jpg

JiveTurkey (cut off on the left - sorry Jason):
IMG_7699.jpg

Some shots of the venue:

IMG_7671.jpg

IMG_7672.jpg

IMG_7685.jpg

Some turn in boxes, judging, and food pron:
IMG_7682.jpg

IMG_7688.jpg

IMG_7695.jpg

IMG_7715.jpg

IMG_7720.jpg

IMG_7726.jpg

IMG_7722.jpg

And between the fingers some very nice numbers for one competitor:

IMG_7709.jpg

I had a lot of fun out today and learned alot listening to the judging and speaking with fellow Brethren and other out there competing. BBQ fanatics are some of the nicest people and I'm not just saying that because I was well fed by them today!

Thanks to BBQ PD (and Mrs. BBQ PD) for being such great hosts!

And I hope what I've heard is correct that BBQ PD won the event!:clap: After tasting some of their leftover chicken & ribs today, I can believe it if I heard correctly!

What a nice venue, and it looks like beautiful weather too! Lots of familiar faces there --I can't wait till we get out that way to see everyone again, and greet those we've only known through pictures.

Congratulations to all who participated! That open judging is an eye-opener, isn't it? :becky:

Nice picture!

In the second brisket box picture, the brisket is in the box sideways. I am surprised that the table captain turned the box so that the judges saw the face of the slices. He should have held it the normal way.

That open judging is an eye-opener, isn't it? :becky:

I found the open judging to be very interesting! Some very good comments from some judges and some comments that left me scratching my head. Some of the boxes I would have gladly swapped places as a judge and some others... well the pitmaster went away with a lot of constructive feedback from the judges (who really were there to help out some inexperienced teams).

As someone who might one day consider entering a comp, I found the open judging to be very helpful.

Nice picture!

In the second brisket box picture, the brisket is in the box sideways. I am surprised that the table captain turned the box so that the judges saw the face of the slices. He should have held it the normal way.

That was an odd one. I think the gentleman who was supposed to display the box was at the other table (there were 2 tables) and somehow a member of the team who turned in the box ended up displaying it sideways and the sideways orientation of the brisky was pointed out.

Dang, I forgot that I was gonna run out there and be disruptive. Looks like it was a good event, Dave and Deni know how to put on a party. Leonard is looking good in those pictures too.

I find these CBBQA events to be very interesting, with the open judging and all.

Thanks for posting the photos John! It was good to see you again!

What a great weekend! The Barts are awesome hosts! A private lake with full RV hookups for us to set up and cook our BBQ. Add in a bunch of great teams and judges and it is a party! The event was well organized thanks to Ben and Kyle and it was great to see friends and make new ones as well!

I have to say, that is my rib in the pic with the judge and one bite, and I am pretty proud of it! :)

Leonard does look great! He has lost a lot of weight and looks pretty healthy...always great to chat with him and share stories!

As far as that brisket box goes...I don't know what happened as I didn't turn in brisket and wasn't there, but since this was an open judging for the purpose of learning, they may have been demonstrating what it should have looked like so the judges could show what there score may have been. But maybe not, however it was all about learning so I wouldn't be too concerned.

As for my cooking, I was relatively happy. I tried some new techniques for my chicken and the results were much better (2nd place) and I got some good feedback on my ribs and they scored well too (3rd place) and we were 3rd place overall.

It was a great way to get good feedback from the judges and learn what to work on. And of course the weekend was social so we had a great time hanging out with a ton of great people and have fun! What a blast!

I'm wondering how what appear to be very new Rudy's cups made it all the way to California?

Haahaa! Those are mine! I go to Austin TX on business once or twice a year and I always bring back extra cups. We use them at home and in our RV all the time. They are the perfect size for a beverage with ice, are reusable and I don't need to worry if they get lost or disappear.

I love me some Rudy's too! Usually stop in on the way from the airport to my hotel! LOL

Great pictures John. Thanks for posting, and you heard correctly, GC with 1st in chicken and ribs :becky:.

As I stated, the 9-9-9 was only to preserve me a spot at the lake for next year. :p

Honestly that was damn good chicken Dave. You deserved every 9 you got. Adam's too. We got the two top chicken turn ins back to back. I bet it was a close call.

I will also be sure to bring a full bottle of vodka so we don't run low when it comes time to spit it in the fire!

Great pictures John. Thanks for posting, and you heard correctly, GC with 1st in chicken and ribs :becky:.

Congrats Dave & Deny!!

As I stated, the 9-9-9 was only to preserve me a spot at the lake for next year. :p

Honestly that was damn good chicken Dave. You deserved every 9 you got. Adam's too. We got the two top chicken turn ins back to back. I bet it was a close call.

I will also be sure to bring a full bottle of vodka so we don't run low when it comes time to spit it in the fire!

You picked the right time & table to sit back down at Jason!

Wow, I got to taste extra chicken from the top 2 places and ribs from the 1st & 3rd places between BBQ PD & Huminie! Excellent job guys! It was all tasty!:thumb::thumb:

Thanks for the kind words John! The "constructive criticism" the judges give us is very valuable, but we also need to see it enjoyed by folks who enjoy it for what it is. Have to balance the hyper-critical competition aspect with the '7 through 9, it's still darn good que' part.

Again, we were very happy with our chicken and I have a few tweaks in mind to make it even better (I'm not making any major changes at this point though). I also know what went wrong with our ribs and will be correcting that next time.

Very happy to have the chance to work on it before Sam's in Sac next week!

What a great event! The Barts were incredible hosts. I was fortunate enough to place 1st in Pork, 1st in Brisket and 3rd (tied with Adam, lost coin toss) in chicken, RGC. Forum is great, feedback invaluable, especially for us newbies. Take a look at our boxes:

DSC0703111.JPG

DSC0702911.JPG

I was advised by the judges not to post pics of our chicken entry, should we want to keep it our own for a while. The triple 9's for chicken in the pics above was for our entry. Blew them away. Oh well, here goes:
CHICKEN11.jpg

I'm glad I got some of that chicken before you slapped all of those yelo stickers all over em!
They were definitely (defiantly?) 999!
NUTZ

I wish I could have seen the chicken as everyone was raving about it. Not to copy it, just to see what they were all talking about...it sounded great and I can't envision what it looked like.

You did a great job Ryan, and it was great to finally meet you in person!

Thanks Ryan! Wow! Looks amazing! Never seen anything like it...you definitely took chicken to a new level! Congrats!

Ryan - It was nice to meet & chat with you & your brother. Congrats on your results & I enjoyed your brisket & chicken samples! Big kudos to you on creativity!

Nice to meet you too John, thanks for all the pics. Nice work and nice repertoire of bbq's, I must say.

Back