PBS Test Kitchen - Cornell Chicken

QuietOne

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I happened to flip on PBS while it was doing Cornell chicken make over, 1000 chickens for the fair at 26" over the coals, so PBS got it down to 2 chicks but in the oven,

Anyone done this in the UDS?

I cooked some on my kettle a couple of months ago after seeing the show. They weren't bad.

Cornell Chicken is daggum good....
butt nothing like RoadSide Chicken.
RSC is KING!

I saw them on PBS, I may try it as soon as the snow melts a little.

Cornell Chicken is daggum good....
butt nothing like RoadSide Chicken.
RSC is KING!
Ummm, well...CC and RSC are the same thing as I understand it.

Pretty close. Cornell sauce starts with an egg whisked into oil. A thicker consistency and a bit less tangy.

cornell U is about 45 minutes from me, the recipe was created by one of the professors. i've had the chicken a few times, phil's chicken house (famous for its cornell chicken) is about a 5 minute drive.

recipe as follows:

1 Large Egg (Not for flavor, to hold ingredients together)
1 C. Vegetable Oil
2 C. Cider Vinegar
3 Tbs. Coarse Salt (Kosher or Sea)
1 Tbs. Poultry Seasoning
1/2 Tsp. Freshly Ground Black Pepper

marinade the chicken for no longer than an hour and cook it up

Sounds good to me. Any excuse to try another chicken recipe.:-D

OK, so who has the recipe for RSC? I would like to see the difference.

I happened to flip on PBS while it was doing Cornell chicken make over, 1000 chickens for the fair at 26" over the coals, so PBS got it down to 2 chicks but in the oven,

Anyone done this in the UDS?

I don't have much to add to this...not much difference between RSC and cornell chicken except the egg.

I will say that doing this on the UDS at high heat (300-325) creates some spectacularly crispy skinned chicken! I originally started doing RSC on my kettle, but the results are far better on the drum.

Give it a whirl and let us know how it comes out.

My understanding was that Roadside Chicken was an evolution of the original Cornell Chicken and was developed as a result of people selling chicken by the road side hoping to make their version of Cornell Chicken distinct. Of course, this was related in an interview of the originator of the Cornell Chicken recipe (as well as the Chicken McNugget).

My version of roadside chicken from the VWSM site.

ROADSIDE CHICKEN
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
1 TBS white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt
Mix/shake till well dissolved. I put mine in a old worcestershire bottle with the shaker top. You can marrinate the chicken in the sauce for up to 2-8 hrs before cooking. If so discard marinade and make fresh for the cooking sauce. I apply the sauce every 5 min to both sides and turn every 5-10 min. Apply one final coating 5 min before removing from the grill. You can't put too much sauce on while grilling. It will build up a nice layer of flavors. I use the kettle but i think it would do well on the WSM with no water pan and a high heat cook. I usally add one small piece of apple wood while grilling also. Hope you like it. Enjoy
EDIT: If you are going to marinate the chicken first, then leave the oil out for the marinade proccess. Make up a fresh batch for basting the chicken with the oil in the sauce.

NUTZ

cornell U is about 45 minutes from me, the recipe was created by one of the professors. i've had the chicken a few times, phil's chicken house (famous for its cornell chicken) is about a 5 minute drive.

recipe as follows:

1 Large Egg (Not for flavor, to hold ingredients together)
1 C. Vegetable Oil
2 C. Cider Vinegar
3 Tbs. Coarse Salt (Kosher or Sea)
1 Tbs. Poultry Seasoning
1/2 Tsp. Freshly Ground Black Pepper

marinade the chicken for no longer than an hour and cook it up

Yeah, that guy died just a couple of years ago...invented chicken nuggets, turkey burgers, tons of stuff. CU got all the patents and
trademarks.

I cook cornell chicken regularly, right now in fact,but have found that I prefer it without the egg. I guess I've been making roadside chicken the whole time. I guess it's just a personal preference.

Back