Smoking my first HAM for Christmas

T

tmkshew

That's right. I'm coming to you guys again.

I've done spareribs, chicken, beer in the butt chicken, chicken thighs, chicken wings, Pork Butt, Pork Shoulder, Beef Brisket (still haven't got that one down), and last week... I smoked a Turkey.
BEST TURKEY I'VE EVER HAD!
Thanks to you guys.

Anyways, I'm only 23 if you have ever read anything I've posted before. I've got to say, for my age... my bbq resume isn't looking too bad.

A group of about 16 of my friends are getting together in 2 weeks for a Secret Santa exchange. We're having a big dinner, and it's going to be a lot of fun.
Well, I want to smoke my first ham.
Seems easy enough, but what the hell do I know?

If anyone is from the Maryland area, or have been here to try this place called Heavenly Ham, please message me right away because that is definitely the taste I'm going for.
To let you guys know, I have a lot of Cherry Wood, a BIG UDS, and I plan on using a Ham with the bone in.

I was wondering if anyone knew the biggest possible ham I could get and how many it could feed.
I'm feeding 16 people...on my first time with a ham!

I suppose I could try to smoke a small one, but who's got time to practice when I'm going to school and have a full-time job?

I don't really know anything about smoking ham so any and all information would be greatly appreciated. If you want to e-mail me directly, that would be a plus.
tmkshew@gmail.com

Hope to hear from you guys soon, and I'll be sure to post plenty of pictures.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96063 here's mine from last week, i just double smoked it, (was presmoked at factory) i do not like spiral hams that's just the way i am, these were bone in basically ya just reheat it, cuz it's fully cooked your only job is to bring up to safe eating temp... so ...160-165f... glaze that sucker once an hour it'll turn out great!!!

Dang mmmmeat that looks awesome! Sorry I missed that thread. Using the pineapple is a good idea to keep moisture.
Here's a glaze I like:1/2 c. maple syrup
1/2 c. dark brown sugar
2 tbls. whole grain Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
Whisk together until smooth and on to med-high heat.
Simmer for 2 min. and remove from heat.

Be sure not to burn with all the sugar though.

Double smoking a ham is the best way to go. As for size, I've found them upwards of 28 pounds and trust me, that is WAY more than you are going to need. For your group of 16, I don't think you are going to need anything over say 8-10 pounds.

Here is a small one I did for a throw-down last year...
DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0027.jpg

Listen to the Divemaster... He is the ham king! He cooked about 50 lbs of ham for the last competition of the year in this area and it was a big hit!

Something else to think about. If your are 'Double Smoking' the ham (it was already smoked once at the processing plant) be careful of how much wood you use. It's real easy to over smoke it. The woods I normally use are either Mulberry or Sugar Maple. You could use Cherry but remember to cut the amount by about 1/2.

As for the glaze, I like to mix about 1 1/2 cups of dark brown sugar, 2 rounded tablespoons of dry mustard with just enough maple syrup or pineapple juice to create a medium thick glaze when heated. About the thickness of say a BBQ sauce. I start using it when the meat gets to roughly 145-150*F internal. I like to pull the ham once it hits about 160* and let it rest for a solid 20-30 minutes before you start slicing. You could heat it to a lower temperature but you are going to have to make sure that the ham that you purchase is "Fully Cooked".

I've smoked a few whole fresh hams over the past few years. Without properly curing them they taste similar to a butt, with a firmer texture and richer flavor. They are very nice to smoke. I have found that 15 to 20 lb hams are the most common at my local grocer. Brining them takes several days for deep penetration of the brine. Doing a double smoked ham is a fine alternative, they come out great! If you have the time and the equipment to cure or brine a ham you should try it.

Dumd question? is tender quick the same as instacure #1 or pink salt?

No, they are not the same. I don't know the specifics but i know you use a lot less #1 than tenderquick. When i cured a fresh ham a couple years back, it was about 20lbs and i used 3 cups of TQ per Dizzy pigs recipe. If using pink salt they recommend 8tbls of pink and 3 cups salt. The ham was great and would like to do another one but the timing is tricky since my freezer and chock full and i'd have to get the ham and toss right in brine then cook 10 days later. The timing just isn't working for me.

I did make a fantastic spiral ham last year xmas day which was my first time w/a spiral. The worse part was i had to leave to visit the family and it was almost done. What to do?? I wrapped it in foil w/pineapple juice, a little cinnamon and nutmeg. When we got back i pulled it off, drained the juice and mixed the juice with the glaze packet and that made a great dipping sauce to go with the ham, which wasn't dry at all.

Just to give you guys a quick update...
I did a trial run on a 7lb'er and it turned out amazing.
There was one problem...
this may be a sin to say this on the site, but the bbq rub I used made my ham taste like bbq!

I'm looking to make a christmas ham. I think I'm just going to do the glaze instead of using any kind of rub. The Glaze I did was amazing though

I'll definitely post my final results friday evening. The smoke will take place tomorrow.
I'm using apple, cherry and maple wood for the smoke. It's going to be great.

How long do you think a whole ham at 17lbs will take at around 275-300 degrees? Thanks again guys. I mixed and matched with the glaze suggestions and came out with something absolutely incredible. it's great
keep it coming, and let me know what you guys think on the time?

I just picked up a 23lb "ready to cook" bone in ham. It will be coated in apple butter, left wrapped overnight in the fridge then smoked with apple wood. I have done several of these and are by far the best hams I have ever had.

Just to give you guys a quick update...
I did a trial run on a 7lb'er and it turned out amazing.
There was one problem...
this may be a sin to say this on the site, but the bbq rub I used made my ham taste like bbq!

I'm looking to make a christmas ham. I think I'm just going to do the glaze instead of using any kind of rub. The Glaze I did was amazing though

I'll definitely post my final results friday evening. The smoke will take place tomorrow.
I'm using apple, cherry and maple wood for the smoke. It's going to be great.

How long do you think a whole ham at 17lbs will take at around 275-300 degrees? Thanks again guys. I mixed and matched with the glaze suggestions and came out with something absolutely incredible. it's great
keep it coming, and let me know what you guys think on the time?

here is my go to ham recipe. I always get tons of compliments.

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/maple-bisquette-recipes.asp#5

Go to this thread and scroll down to post #14 by brother Jim Minion. This is the best recipie for ham I have ever used and everyone raves about it. It is Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked Ham with the Sweet Kiss of Death Injectable Marinade. I've been making ham this way every year for Christmas and Easter for the past five years.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7096

Here's a pic or our last Dr. Chicken Double Smoked Ham with the Sweet Kiss of Death Injectable Maridad from last Easter.

Last edited:
Go to this thread and scroll down to post #14 by brother Jim Minion. This is the best recipie for ham I have ever used and everyone raves about it. It is Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked Ham with the Sweet Kiss of Death Injectable Marinade. I've been making ham this way every year for Christmas and Easter for the past five years.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7096

100% agree on this recipe :thumb::thumb:

Back