What is a 119 Packer Brisket

C

Chefy

Had a brief conversation with a guy that has a successful BBQ restaurant and catering service in our area. Went through his cooking process and he mentioned that he only uses 119 packers (Brisket). I didn’t want to be too nosey, so I didn’t ask him what 119 designates. Tried to Google the 119 but had no luck. Can someone tell me about the 119 packer?

Hes using a USDA marketing designator. The chart is around here somewhere.. I will look but to answer your question, 119 is Deckle-On, 120 is Deckle-Off; 120A is Flat only

Thanks Phil, never heard of that designation before.
I always learn something new here daily and I thank you all!

Hes using a USDA marketing designator. The chart is around here somewhere.. I will look but to answer your question, 119 is Deckle-On, 120 is Deckle-Off; 120A is Flat only

.....which begs another question......

What the he!! is a Deckle?

My friend Google says that deckel is the same as the point of the brisket.

KevG

Good question! Thanks for the 119 info.
Yep, deckle is the same as point,heel,etc.

:tsk:
My friend Google says that deckel is the same as the point of the brisket.

KevG

OK, then isn't a 120 and a 120A the same thing?
Just sayin'!

OK, now I'm just being the annoying student with too many questions!
.....sorry.:becky::tsk:

The next poster gets extra credit for working "packer cut" into a Favre joke :p

:tsk:

OK, then isn't a 120 and a 120A the same thing?
Just sayin'!

OK, now I'm just being the annoying student with too many questions!
.....sorry.:becky::tsk:

Actually no.

although we(non butcher, non fda folks) normally call the point and nose the deckle, technically, its not. The deckle is the muscle and fat that attachs the brisket to the rib cage. Thats not something we would normally see and Im pretty sure it is not seen on a full packer to us. Our full packers are 120s.The closest we would get to the deckle is the fat cap on the flat and point.

Great post. Thanks. I have a friend who raises organic, grass fed cows. When I tell him I want a whole packer, he has no idea what I mean. This will clear matters up.

Back