Wood Pallets. However, I had a ready supply of seasoned oak. You need hard wood to get a really hot fire.

I ended up using some oak. I think it got plenty hot, the outside paint burned right off pretty quick.

For anyone looking for pallets, call around to local moving/trucking companies. I work for a moving company and we trash/scrap so many pallets that are old, broken, odd sized, etc. Promising a trade out of some BBQ wouldn't hurt either :thumb:

Well, got to spend a few more minutes on the drum tonight. Finished cutting the holes for the lower vents and installed them, so making progress. Was thinking I would drill holes for the upper rack, and started measuring. I've seen it mentioned a few times about having the rack 24" above the fire, but my ciphering doesn't add up!

If my coal box is sitting 3" off bottom, and the box is 12" tall, that's 15". If I try to add 24" to that, I'm above the rim of my barrel. My barrel is only around 35" +/-. :doh:

Am I missing something? Is my barrel shorter than most? Or, am I going to need to put the rack at the highest possible spot on the barrel, since I have a Weber lid w/a dome, which gives me a little wiggle room? :confused:

Yo stglide. I think you want to be 24" above the bottom of the charcoal basket. So if your basket is 3" off the bottom, 3 +24 = 27" from the bottom of the drum. If I am right about where to meaxure from, then your drum will work.

What he said, 24 from base of fire basket.

Yes, I thought I read there should be around 24" between the fire and the rack. Maybe I'm mistaken, as if that is the case, I can't make the numbers work.

Hoping I've misinterpreted something along the way of this MASSIVE thread, which is simply AWESOME!!

Yo stglide. I think you want to be 24" above the bottom of the charcoal basket. So if your basket is 3" off the bottom, 3 +24 = 27" from the bottom of the drum. If I am right about where to meaxure from, then your drum will work.
:thumb:

Man you must have Flintstone feet.
I'd be layed up for a week working in the shop without shoes. Nice Mill

38bb5cf7.jpg

Two Quick items...

1)The drum I was hoping to get may be epoxy lined after all.
Anyone know a source for the AUSTIN - TEXAS area on unlined
or reconditioned drums in this area? Found a few lined Craigslist,
but if someone on this site knew.. thought I would ask.

2)I was thinking of contacting a shop that does SANDBLASTING to blast out
the liner. Does this sound like it would work? What would be a reasonable
fee to pay. I have three herniated discs, so minimal inside work is better for me. Hours working in the scrapping will not do.

Thank for the answers.

My barrel had a liner in it and I took it to a shop that did heat treating and sandblasting. They put the barrel in the burner, burned it out, then sandblasted it for $40. It turned out great. Best $40 I spent.

On to the next delima... getting ready to build the coal box. 18" weber bottom grate, and 12x24 expanded metal. Will take 2 full pieces and part of a third.

Question is I've seen where some weld these together. Unfortunately, I don't have a welder. Figured I could wire them together, and realized my wire is a galv wire. Not sure if that will be a huge problem since everyone uses SS. I'm a little nervous about it.

Any suggestions, as I go back through this thread to see if I can pics and ideas???

Tks!!

On to the next delima... getting ready to build the coal box. 18" weber bottom grate, and 12x24 expanded metal. Will take 2 full pieces and part of a third.

Question is I've seen where some weld these together. Unfortunately, I don't have a welder. Figured I could wire them together, and realized my wire is a galv wire. Not sure if that will be a huge problem since everyone uses SS. I'm a little nervous about it.

Any suggestions, as I go back through this thread to see if I can pics and ideas???

Tks!!

Stainless steel zip ties, copper wire, steel coat hanger, that's all I got right now.

I was thinking "gotta get some expanded metal for my charcoal bucket" then I thought "Why not use the one from my 18.5" WSM?"

Has anyone tried that? If full of briq wonder how long it will burn?

Comments??

Tks!!

I built mine the same way, 18'' weber charcoal grate and 2 pieces of 12 x 24 expanded metal. I fromed the pieces around the grate and attached the ends of the expanded metal with stainless steel bolts, nuts, and washers. Then I used a steel coat hanger for a handle. Works great

I've just finished page242, but couldn't wait any longer to post something. I've never seen this big of a group that have had the success of sticking to the ideals they started up with. Long before now most would have had at least a group of them try to make it "All about Me!" I want to add my thanks to all of you for making it possible for people to see what's so accessible to us. I
can't wait till I can get my drum and start. It's coming just have to wait abit. One thing about that is I'll read the rest of this in the meantime.:rolleyes:

The breathren are all GREAT and have a vast amount of knowledge! :clap2:
With the UDS remember the K.I.S.S. :becky: And welcome aboard, codger! :thumb:

Well I just aquired a new 30 gallon unlined drum. Gonna make UDS #2. I am thinking on this one I would like to try a BGE draft door. From what I have read it seem most are using the medium/large size door and only need it cracked open. Has anybody used the small/mini sized door? I figured I would use the smaller one being its a smaller drum. Now I just need to find a doner 18.5" kettle for the lid.

I built mine the same way, 18'' weber charcoal grate and 2 pieces of 12 x 24 expanded metal. I fromed the pieces around the grate and attached the ends of the expanded metal with stainless steel bolts, nuts, and washers. Then I used a steel coat hanger for a handle. Works great

Jay... any chance of posting a pic or two of what you did? Would love to see how you did it.
Tks!

I just used 1-inch hardware cloth to make the walls for my charcoal basket. Works great, easy to use, cheap, and it really torques some folks when they realize it is **gasp!!** galvanized. I don't figure there is enough galvanizing in the amount used to be an issue.

Although I didn't use the easiest method to build my basket, the video I made (see my signature) may provide some pointers on basket construction (on what to do AND what not to do! LOL)

-Rodney

Back