Chicken prices

jgh1204

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Holy cow, went to HEB friday after work to pick a few things for the weekend. Drummettes - $2.19/lb. Whole wings $1.79/lb. Legs 1.29/lb.

That is about 20 to 30 cent increase per lb in less than a month.

Always check on the way to the store for road kill, I may have gotten there before you on Friday :doh:

Maybe it's just Texas chickens. I bought legs Saturday for .79 lb.

I bought some chicken drumsticks from Fiesta last week for .69 cents a pound or some such nonsense after a ten dollar purchase was made.

HEB has good sales I've noticed, but their prices always seem to be jumpy.
Of course in all fairness I'm not too routine of an HEB shopper, closest one is 13 miles away or so, and my Fiesta/Kroger and in a pinch Wal-Mart are all within 2-5 miles of where I live.

I bought leg quarters (legs and thighs) today at Sweet Bay for $1.09 lb.....Bought about 25 pounds for this weekend.

I don't worry about those chicken prices but around here pork butts are sky high.

I try to always price chicken when I go to the store and buy when it's on sale (which seems to be just about every other week).

and then, therts always Sam's Club

10 lb bags of leg quarters are still running .69/lb at my local mom and pop.

I've been getting 10# bags of leg quarters for $3.90 per 10# bag. Big quarters too, I've never gotten more that 11 in a bag. The brand is called Sanderson Farms. The last bags of other brands I bought averaged 13-17 quarters per bag.

Chris

Iran, a new nuclear treaty, and chicken thighs

There are many drivers of domestic chicken prices but the most surprisingly driver is geopolitical. Americans love white meat. It’s a shame, I know. However, that means domestic producers of chicken need to export the extra dark meat to other countries, primarily Russia. Russia plays the chicken card and bans imports whenever she wants something. The last time this happen was in W’s first term after he passed protectionist steel policies that helped PA but hurt Russia. When Russia bans imports, the US has excess supply of dark meat driving prices down.

Well, Russia has banned US imports again. There is some expectation that Obama will address this issue when Medvedev comes to the US this Wednesday when they discuss everything from Iran to a new nuclear treaty to chicken thighs. I wonder if prices are starting to assume a resolution. Just a guess.

I got a case of 8 piece cut chickens for $.94 last weekend at Restaurant Depot.

There are many drivers of domestic chicken prices but the most surprisingly driver is geopolitical. Americans love white meat. It’s a shame, I know. However, that means domestic producers of chicken need to export the extra dark meat to other countries, primarily Russia. Russia plays the chicken card and bans imports whenever she wants something. The last time this happen was in W’s first term after he passed protectionist steel policies that helped PA but hurt Russia. When Russia bans imports, the US has excess supply of dark meat driving prices down.

Well, Russia has banned US imports again. There is some expectation that Obama will address this issue when Medvedev comes to the US this Wednesday when they discuss everything from Iran to a new nuclear treaty to chicken thighs. I wonder if prices are starting to assume a resolution. Just a guess.

The politics and economics of meat is definitely interesting. Thanks for the education.

I reckon chicken's ain't high 'nuff up in the pecking order to be listed on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange but "lean hogs" are close to the top of their 52 week high's.

http://money.cnn.com/data/commodities/ remember...buy low, sell high :)

Back