Mystery dinner on the BGE

SmokeJumper

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My first time doing this dish over fire. Any guesses?

Attachments

• Mysteryingredients.JPG
    Mysteryingredients.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 233
Looks like your off to a great start.
Can't wait to see the finished products.

Paella is also my guess.

Righty-O, Paella! Surprising the wife with one of her favorite dishes tonight. I never get as much of the crunchy rice (a.k.a. soccarat) as I want on the stovetop/oven so this is going to be a great experiment. Now if I just knew when my wife was going to be home...

My wife has been chomping at the bit to try to make it. Let us know how it turns out.

First Paella on the BGE complete

The paella turned out very tasty tonight. I cooked it Andalusian Style - one unique element to this style is a mashed base of toasted almonds, garlic, parsley, and saffron. I used a half firebox of Lazzari mesquite lump and threw in a chipmunk sized piece of hickory after adding the rice.

I had to play around with the distance to the fire to get the soccarat (crispy rice) just right and now I know what to expect for a home run next time. A raised grid can be used for all the sauté steps and then the lower "stock" egg grid height can be used to bring it all together and crisp the rice. I sautéd with a dome temp around 400F and then cooked the rice and meat together to completion at 350F. Last and most important, in the final 2-3 minutes I slapped the dampers wide open, got that musical snapping and sizzling rice sound, and it resulted in the crispy pan rice that makes it all worth it. The wife was very happy with it - I always know because she packs the leftovers for lunch the next day if she approves.:becky:

Browning the Chicken and Linguica on raised grid
BrowningtheMeat.jpg

Making the Sofrito (vegetable base) on the raised grid
Sofrito.jpg

Making the Andalusian style paste of toasted almonds, garlic, parsley, and saffron.
Garlicsaffronalmondpaste.jpg

Added the almond paste, Bomba Spanish rice, and homemade chicken stock.
Riceandbroth.jpg

After 15 minutes with the lid closed the Bomba rice plumped up and and I added grilled asparagus and roasted Spanish piquillo peppers.
Finishedonegg-1.jpg

The final 2-3 minutes wide open made for a perfectly uniform crispy soccarat that I haven't seen off of a stovetop preparation
Soccarat-1.jpg

Thanks for checking out my first Paella on the egg.

Last edited:
Oh man, that is an excellent paella. looks to me like you nailed the soccarat.

OMG!!!! That's a fine looking meal. I like the story and the pron progression. I'm dying over here!! Fantastic.
I'd so hit that.
Bob

Thank you! I've been looking for a good paella to try on the egg!

Man that looks good. :clap2: I've always wanted to make paella. After seeing this I think I am going to have to try it.

I used a half firebox of Lazzari mesquite lump and threw in a chipmunk sized piece of hickory after adding the rice.

Chipmunk sized? I've never heard wood chunks described by animal sizes :-D

Great job on the Paella! That looks fantastic!

Back