Does anyone know of any Kansas City area backyard BBQ Comps?

daedalus

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I would like to compete a little this year, but frankly, I just don't have the gear or money to do a full KCBS sanctioned event. Do any of you know about any amature, backyard-type competitions in the Kansas City area?

Talk to Nationwide RV. They do 1-2 each year.

Also look at Alma, MO on the Saturday around the 4th of July.

You might look into your local small towns. These towns have yearly "town-fairs" and some do have backyard contests. Missouri State Fair used to have a good backyard contest, and the town where I am originally from (Grain Valley) will sometimes have a contest during their "Valley Fair Daze" in September. This is where we got our feet "wet'.

And like Plowboy says, definately check into the contests at Nationwide RV. They have a great pay-out for a backyard contest! :wink:

Good-Luck!

Hey guys,
I would like to compete a little this year, but frankly, I just don't have the gear or money to do a full KCBS sanctioned event. Do any of you know about any amature, backyard-type competitions in the Kansas City area?

This is my first year and looking for help. Right now I only have 2 on my mind. I need to get with someone and make sure they are not at the same comp. But would/could use help.

Mike

You also might look up Backyard Bash. It is a store in Parkville, MO. They do some backyard comps through out the year.

Twister's in bonner springs, ks has one every year, usually after the Royal.

payout,,,,not much, but you get to cook almost anything you want.

There is a bar in Shawnee called Jake's Place (Johnson Dr. & Quivera).
They usually do a contest in the Spring and another in the Fall.
Cheap entry fee but the payout is bar gift certificates. You cook chicken, ribs and pork loin I think.

I'd also look at some of the sanctioned events. For example Waterloo Ia you can enter just the events you want to participate in. So you can enter just the rib category for $50.

Great Ideas guys...thanks for the leads!

You also might look up Backyard Bash. It is a store in Parkville, MO. They do some backyard comps through out the year.
Last year they sponsored one in Riverside, MO. I actually competed in that one and liked it...that is one reason I am trying to more of that type of thing this year. It was fun, with less pressure (Plus I finished in the top 10 overall and a 2nd in chicken). Apparently, they are doing it this year too, so I will be sure to do that one again.

+1 for the Riverside BBQ Blast-off. We actually end up GC last year after the other guy got DQ'd for not being an "amateur". It was a great run contest and we would enter again if we could. I'll for sure be their judging this time around.

http://www.riversidemo.com/residents/BBQ.cfm

We actually end up GC last year after the other guy got DQ'd for not being an "amateur".

Seriously? What happened? Who was the team? I think the terms "amatuer" and "pro" are really used incorrectly most of the time.

Seriously? What happened? Who was the team? I think the terms "amatuer" and "pro" are really used incorrectly most of the time.

**Teams must not have won a cash prize in any sanctioned barbeque contest. This will be based on the honor
system; however, teams found in violation of this requirement may be disqualified.**

This is what they would call pro I guess.

There is one with the 18th and Vine Jazz festival. Not sure on the date. Steve.

Back