• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket On The Traeger

markbet

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am going to attempt smoking a brisket on the Traeger this weekend. What I would like to find out, is it best to get a flat instead of a packer? The flat is all one thickness, and seems like it would be easier, a more uniform internal meat temperature, is my thinking right here?

I have only smoked one brisket in my life, and that was probably six years ago, so I need to do some major research to refresh my memory on how to do it. I am told that the brisket is one of the most difficult cuts of meat to prepare.

I went back into the archives (2004) and found the thread that I posted needing help with my first brisket. I got the advice of a very respected person, kcquer, he was a gem of a person, and a first rate cook. Below is his advice on cooking a brisket, if you have anything to add that might be of any help, I would really appreciate it. Like inject or brine?

FROM kcquer:

Mark, here's the advice of someone who's not too far ahead of you. Three words: low, slow and low. The closer they get to done the more important it is to keep the temp low.
There's a thread in this forum called turning meat, I've posted an article from a newsletter that's has as much good info as I've found in one place. Read that.
You'll need a leave in type meat thermometer or digital probe type therm to monitor internal temp of the meat. Briskets needs to be taken to 150 or 160 (just wrapped two at 160) then sprayed with fruit juice or other mopping concotion and wrapped in HD foil. Back in the heat, can even be the oven (forgive me) until internal temp reaches 190 to 200 (gotta be 200 for me but that's just my opinion). You can then put the meat in a cooler that will serve to slow the cooling process to the point of extending the cooking process. The slower it cools the more of its own juices it will draw back in. Eat at 150-160 or when you can't wait any longer.

Anyone from that era remember where that article that kcquer posted is located (turning meat). I tried to find it, but could not. Phil, do you remember?

I found it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8502&highlight=Turning

Last edited:
On the Traeger, just get a whole packer, your choice of rub. Then, put it fat side down on the grate until you can poke a blunt object (maybe the size of a pencil or a bit smaller) into it. You should feel some resistance at 1st then it should go in real easy. (at 250°-275°) probably about 8 hrs or so) but, each brisket is different, it may take a bit longer or maybe not quite so long. Than wrap it in foil with a little juice & put it in the cooler for a couple hours. This is how I've been doing it on my tragers for a while now, it works for me.

I do mine in my BBQ075 at 225° until internal temp of 200° then let rest awhile and then eat.

Like the post above said FAT SIDE DOWN in the Traeger, gives it protection from the heat right below it.

225º is a good smoking temp to strive for but when I set my Traegers on 225º it burns aroud 250º that's why I said 250º. That being said, 200º is probably a decent temp for the meat but I would start poking it around 180º. Again, each brisket is it's own, times & temps will varie from one to another.

So did any of you brine or inject the brisket prior to cooking? If you did, what did you use?

Some people brine I've never tried except to make corned beef.

Just a note about each brisket being different. I put 2 on the 500 at 3am at 225º (which is really 240º - 250º). The larger of the 2 was done about 11:30. The smaller is still on there not done yet at almost 1pm. Go figure, party is at 2pm I guess I'll be late. Making burnt ends out of the points but I won't have time to do the second one.

I put my brisket flat on about 7:30 am, it just hit 160 internal, it is now 12:15 pm. I did pull it and foiled it with apple juice applied, it looks good, forty more degrees and we will know how it tastes also!!

Wow, this ended up being a long post... =)

I've done a few on me lil tex (with out digital temp control) set to "smoke" (180'ish - 225 depending on the outside temp) and I usually inject with this Heart-Healthy mix:
2 pkts of au jus mixed with about 1/2 as much water as the pkg calls for and to that I add 1 cube of butter, a handfull or so of drk brown shugga' (I try to find that sweet/salty balance, don't add too much if you plan on addin the honey talked about below) then I add enough hot sauce to give it a little bite (usually texas pete or a louisianna sauce, but not tabasco, too much vinager (And I love Tabasco on everthing!) The other pepper sauces are usually a bit thicker and I like the au jus mix to be pretty thick that way it doesn't ooze out as easily. Again, find that sweet/salty and now spicy balance.
If I'm making this for competition I add enough hickory smoke seasoning to be able to taste it over the salt & sweet. Bring this to a boil for a few min and keep stirring!
I also add about a 1/2 cup of raw unpasturized local honey to the mix as it starts to cool down (150 or so) there are natural enzymes in the unpasturized honey that are activated by heat (but killed at high temps) and will help break down that muscle tissue. For the love all that is holy, PLEASE, do NOT try to use any sort of meat tenderized for this! You will end up with a beautiful "shell" and some sort of dog food consistency mush on the inside. Worst brisket expirement EVER!!!! Learn from my mistakes! I was so sad when I cut it open, I almost cried.
I wait untill the butter just barely starts to congeal, you want it to still suck into the syringe but cools quickly and solidifys when it contacts the cold meat. Start injecting like a mad-man. Make sure you squint while injecting, you don't want that crap in your eye! Besides, thats why God gave you eye lids! =)

Once injected to the point where there is no way any more will be held stick it in a nice large dish, fat down and pour any remaining au jus in. I apply what ever rub I plan on using (thats the 1 secret you'll have to discover on your own) to any exposed meat and tuck plastic wrap over the top so that it fits tightly on the meat. Let sit over night in the fridge. In the morn, remove from the dish and skim any butter out that you can, rub this into the flesh side as well as you can, reapply your rub to the entire brisket and start smokin that damn thing!
After the 1st hour I lightly spray with a mixture of:
1 1/2 cups Braggs apple cider vinager
1/2 cup olive oil (other oils work too)
1/2 cup unpasturized honey (warmed so that it mixes with the vinager)
I double wrap in HD foil with a small amount of the spray mix above @ about 170'sh and place back into tex untill temp hits 200. Then place in a cooler lined with towels that your wife isn't going to kill you for using, and let slowly cool/rest (couple of hours is best).

Slice that sumbiskit up and use the juices in the foil to dip in if you want to. Or, you can also strain it and freeze it for the next brisket you cook, and add that to your au jus injection, now it's gettin crazy! That's next level stuff right there.

I'm sure some folks will bash me for using au jus from a pkg cuz it's loaded with MSG but when competing, you've got to use all the tools @ your disposal. I've won 1st in a backyard comp and 3rd in a sanctioned event with this recipe this past summer... Let me know what you think!

As if I haven't already said enough...

I forgot to mention that I also smoke my brisket fat side down and that my au jus mix is a variation on Chatham Artillary's brisket injection, not sellin anything, just giving due credit! =)

I have used Kosmos and ordered more. It is excellent !!!!!!!!!

I emailed Kosmos and asked if they have any plans on selling smaller portions, and he replied and said that as a matter of fact, as of next week, they will be selling smaller packages. So as soon as I can get a small package, I will buy some and give it a try.

Mark, that's good news. I went ahead earlier and ordered the bag so I could do a cook I had upcoming. It is just the added edge I needed for brisket. I hope it works out well for him because the product is first class.

Back