Optimal temperature for money muscle?

The Virginian

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My pork is schizophrenic. This year, half the time I get a high call, the other half it is down in the bottom third somewhere. I feature the money muscles on a bed of pulled. I rarely actually taste the money muscle (hereafter MM) because there is not very much of it. Since the pulled seems to me to be about the same every time, I think the difference has to be in the MM. My theory is that on the occasions when I tank it is because the MM is over cooked and a little dry.

I am going to run some tests this winter to see if I can identify an optimum temperature when the MM is both tender and super moist on a consistent basis. As a little pre-experiment research, though, I wanted to ask you all what you think the optimum temperature for the money muscle is? I take my butts off at about 203. If the optimum temp for the MM is lower, perhaps I need to cook extra butts just for the MM and take them off at a lower temp. Anyway, what's your vote for optimal MM temperature?

Brett

Brett-

That seems very high to me at least. I'd need a lightsaber to cut it at that temp, how do you do it? I'm thinking more like 190.

In Response to Dan,
I have a very sharp knife and a lot of patience. Maybe 200+ is getting carried away (but heck, I pulled my brisket at 208 this weekend and it did pretty well, so go figure). At 190, the butt is often still giving too much resistance for my taste when I test it. Maybe the answer is to pay more attention as they get closer to done so I can take them out the moment the butts give it up. I am still going to try the experiments, though. It may turn out that optimal MM temp is 180-185, in which case I am going to need more cooker space to do special butts for the MM. If only that dreaded parting rule was not there!

Brett

well, money muscles kinda tricky, 200+ im suprised you can even find that thinG!!! in all seriousness thou, my bet is 180-185 before pulling out of cooker and resting, that'd bring it to about 190-195 after the rest and should slice real nice.

I don't use the money muscle. Opens up to many different opinions at the judging table.

We cook our butts to 205-210 internal and then slice the MM. I've gone as high as 215 before and was still able to slice the MM. It just takes patience and a really sharp knife to get slices without falling apart at those temps.

The faster you cook the higher the internal temperature needed to render. We're cooking on a UDS and get them done in 5-6 hours.

Back