WSM Brisket

DBH

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey Guys, Has been a really long time sense I've done a brisket on a WSM. Doing one at a friends party tomorrow and wondering how others are running their WSMs for brisket. Water, or no water (ie:sand) ? If water, are you getting 300+ temps on the WSMs?

Thanks for your opinions!

Water will fight you on 300* temps. It's basic physics. How water works as a thermal heat sink is a perfect match for low and slow in the 215-225* range. Reason is water by nature wants to remain a liquid at temps below 212*. To convert water at 212* to steam at 212* takes a huge input of extra heat energy with no increase in actual temperature.

For water at its normal boiling point of 212 *F, the heat of vaporization is 2260 J g-1. This means that to convert 1 g of water at 212 *F to 1 g of steam at 212 *F,
2260 J of heat must be absorbed by the water. Conversely, when 1 g of steam at 212 *F condenses to give 1 g of water at 212 *F, 2260 J of heat will be released to the surroundings. Keep in mind you are still at 212 *F, just changing states the water.

That is why water makes an excellent thermal moderator for low and slow smoking temps. It wants to stay water at 212* unless you keep pumping in a lot of extra energy (heat) and as temps drop, it imparts that extra energy (heat) back into the smoker to help keep them mostly in that 212* range absent the return of extra energy to restart the upward conversion.

For 300*+ cooks, I would go with a clay pot base or sand, or some other solid mass in the pan. It will help with heat moderation to a point, but does not suffer from the desire to remain at a certain lower temp like water does. The drawback to a solid mass that does not change state is the heat moderation is a constant. If the temp spikes, it will have less of a tendency to moderate the heat downward. That is where water shines (but at the lower temp) as it sucks energy out of the air column when it drops back from steam to water. You don't get that with sand or a clay pot base. As long as you have good air flow control you are fine though. Just remember there will be a 15 minute or so curve from when you make an air adjustment to when you see the final results of that adjustment when not using water as you don't have the help of the thermal moderation downwards (actually when using water there is the same curve, but you have the added assistance of the thermal conversion of the steam in the air column back to water that helps so it seems faster).

no water and wrap once it hits ~160.

Also run it hot around 300-325.

Exactly the way I do them...and every since I started running hotter cooking temps...briskets have been more consistent

I might add...cooler hold for a couple of hours.

Clay saucer for a heat sink

Exactly the way I do them...and every since I started running hotter cooking temps...briskets have been more consistent

Do you put a coat saucer in the water pan? Or can you get a saucer that sits on the legs? Is a 22". Are you wrapping the saucer in foil, or just let the drippings fall?

no water and wrap once it hits ~160.

Also run it hot around 300-325.

^^^This.

Pull when probe tender and let it rest!

Nearly identical step for step...
no clay saucer/water...I do wrap at 165'... remove from WSM around 200-205', cooler it at least one hour - up to 6 hours...

In my WSM22 I started using a clay saucer like SCP mentioned. I went to Home Depot and picked up one that I believe is 16" in diameter. I wrap it and the water bowl in foil separately and then the wrapped saucer into the wrapped bowl. Works like a charm and the cleanup is way easier compared to water in the bowl.

Like others mentioned I run it hotter...generally 275* or above.

Back