Resting meat?

mranum

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok yeah I'm a newbie with stupid questions but when it comes to resting meat.......

I understand it suppose to keep the juice in the meat. Do you keep it completely away from heat? If yes, How long does it take and how do you serve it warm then?:confused:

Roasts in general, pork, beef. We did a pork roast on the weber today and turned out pretty good but ended up with more juice on the plate then in the meat I think.

Big hunks a meat can be wrapped tightly in foil and put into a cooler that is stuffed all around with wadded up newpapers. It will stay very hot for hours. Example: a 12 lb brisket done this way will still be too hot to handle after 4 hours. I am not sure if this is what your asking but certainly hope it does.

Resting or letting it cool before slicing will keep more of the juices in the meat,,rest time depends on the cut & thickness..when its hot, the moisture molecules are stirred up,& like to spew out of the meat when you cut into it..

Ok thanks guys.

Bro, get the feeling we didn't give you the help you were asking for. Nothing wrong with that but all here are willing to help. So, maybe be more specific about what you are trying to do. Keep posting and someone will give you a better answer. KEEP SMOKING!!!

Well basically I'm just trying to learn the "how to's" of that "Q" we all love. I've had beautiful pieces of meat where its just sooooo juicy the meat is almost swimmin' in it as I cut it, but when you eat it its dry.:rolleyes: Apparently properly resting meat off a hot grill will help keep the moisture in the meat where it belongs.

What I'm looking for are some guidelines as to how long and how cool the meat has to get. And its probably an answer like...it depends on the meat. In other words, learn by doing.

But hey, its all good.:mrgreen: Its not like I'm gonna get frustrated and sell the grill.:biggrin:

also... say you pull a meat @ 180 degrees & wrap in foil then a wet towel in a cooler- it can continue to cook up another 5-10 degrees while rendering the fats in the meat- resulting in a juicier meat & tender hunk... check out alton brown on the food network weekday @ 7pm central time for more scientific info than you will ever use....:twisted:

Some meats you just need to tent with foil, Lamb, Pork loin, Tenderloin, the meats that you don't cook much past 145 or 150 give it 15 to 20 minutes, that will allow the juices to return into the meat, while the meat is carry over cooking, the juice is still being forced out of the meat.

If you're cooking to temperatures over 175 you need to rest longer as the carry over will cook for longer and force juice out for longer.

Searing some meats used to be the way to help control moisture loss, but it appears that this actually drives out more juice than cooking at lower temperatures all the way through the cook.

The more you practice and cooking larger cuts, butts, briskets, whole shoulders etc, you'll learn what needs what, in the way of tenting only, or wrapping and resting, etc.

Well basically I'm just trying to learn the "how to's" of that "Q" we all love. I've had beautiful pieces of meat where its just sooooo juicy the meat is almost swimmin' in it as I cut it, but when you eat it its dry.:rolleyes: Apparently properly resting meat off a hot grill will help keep the moisture in the meat where it belongs.

What I'm looking for are some guidelines as to how long and how cool the meat has to get. And its probably an answer like...it depends on the meat. In other words, learn by doing.

But hey, its all good.:mrgreen: Its not like I'm gonna get frustrated and sell the grill.:biggrin:
for your quick & easy answer...
wrap & rest a brisket,roast,butt-@ least an hourwrapped then 10-15 mins unwrapped before slicing
chixk or turkey 20-30 mins(keeps it from falling apart)
not wrap & rest but just rest
meatloaf- 15 mins
hope it helps

I think this to be correct. When you have a hunk of meat, being a steak or a large roast. While cooking the juice's are drawn or pushed towards the center. By resting for 10-20 minutes the juice it redistributed throughout the meat.

I appreciate all the help here, you guys are great.:biggrin:

A little practice and with any luck my stuff should be turning out a lot better.

If I somewhat remember some of Alton Brown's scientific explanation on resting. It goes something like heat disturbs or distorts the cells, also something about the hot boiling temp juice in there is also turning to vapor. As you cut through non rested meat you create more nonsealed surface area for more liquid to float away, and wide open cells are dumping everything out.

By letting it rest past carryover (the cooking the hot internal juices continue to do after you've removed food from the heatsource) the vapors turn back into liquid, cell walls kind of close a bit more to hold more liquid.

I never rested my meat in foil untill yesterday. I read about it here last week and thought I would try it, so I grilled three 2" pork chops with a lite smoke then wrap the plate in foil placed in microwave (off of course) and waited.... I have been burning chops for years dry as leather yesterday....BEST I EVER TASTED!!!

One newbie to another rest in foil!! Thanks guys!

Unless you are trying to extend the amount of time you are holding meat there is no need to wrap in foil. I recommend for a large roast that you use a meat thermometer of your choice and leave it in the roast until you see temps stabilize. Rule of thumb for a large roast is at least 15 minutes. In culinary school they told us to rest steaks for half the time you cooked it.

Unless you are trying to extend the amount of time you are holding meat there is no need to wrap in foil. I recommend for a large roast that you use a meat thermometer of your choice and leave it in the roast until you see temps stabilize. Rule of thumb for a large roast is at least 15 minutes. In culinary school they told us to rest steaks for half the time you cooked it.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

Here's my take on resting meat. Much of what I know I have learned on sites such as this and for what it is worth this site is one of the best if not the best. First I think you need to understand the difference between what is commonly refered to as "resting" and actual "resting". There is much advise on removing meat at a predetermined temperature, wrapping it in foil and then further wrapping it in towels and then placing it in a warmed or heated cooler. If this is done you are actually continuing to "cook" the meat. Albeit, at a lower temperature perhaps than your pit. If your pit is at 250* the outside of your meat will be near that temperature and this will carry over to the central core of the meat. Of course there are many varibles. After ruining several otherwise good and well cooked briskets, I believe I get superior results if I "rest" the meat by allowing it to "cool" after I have achieved what I percieve to be my optimum point of tenderness, irrespective of the temperature. Allowing the meat to cool uninsulated down to just above 140* gives me my best results. Meat is safe to eat for four hours after it drops to 140. Please correct me if I am wrong.:roll:

Everything is better with a bit of a rest. We cook tons of tri tip and rest them for about 20 to 30 minutes in a Cambro before slicing/serving. They seem to shrink down a bit and firm up nice for the slicer (sandwiches) - and are mighty tender and tasty without leaking too bad all over the place. We BBQ about 2 1/2 hours at 225 Degrees on the average size roasts and count on 3 hrs at serving time allowing for a rest. Wicked smoke ring to boot.

Everything is better with a bit of a rest. We cook tons of tri tip and rest them for about 20 to 30 minutes in a Cambro before slicing/serving. They seem to shrink down a bit and firm up nice for the slicer (sandwiches) - and are mighty tender and tasty without leaking too bad all over the place. We BBQ about 2 1/2 hours at 225 Degrees on the average size roasts and count on 3 hrs at serving time allowing for a rest. Wicked smoke ring to boot.

Pardon my ignorance but, whats a Cambro?

Back