got food grade uds

socalwelder

Reaction score
i finally got my food grade UDS today and started work on it as soon as i got home
i bought two of them for 12 dollars each here in San Antonio they are on craigslist if anyone in the area wants one, they have like 30 of them.

anyways, here some pics of the build so far I have to weld it at work Monday
so its not complete,hope to be cooking by this weekend if all works out.

thepics003.jpg

awsome fishing trip
udsbuild008-1.jpg

my boy working
udsbuild010.jpg

ok getting to the work
udsbuild034.jpg

udsbuild035-1.jpg

udsbuild040.jpg

udsbuild042.jpg

udsbuild041.jpg

thats all for now i'll post more once i finish welding and painting

Last edited:
Nice fish.

That barrel looks like it has some kind of liner. It's not bare steel is it?

I would burn out the inside to remove coating, and is your ball valve full port, it looks like an appliance valve, that hole may not give you enough air flow. Have fun, nice to see your son helping out.

Looking good! You're gonna love the thing. Put some handles on the side for moving it around. I stuck a couple up on the lid too.

nice build so far & great haul of mahi & blackfin. man i sure miss port a.

Awesome pics so far.....make sure you burn that liner out before your first cook. That red liner may take up to 3 burns and some elbow grease. Happy Drummin!!!

Looks like you are "well into" the build....but like the others above have said. Burn that thing out. The lack of shinny-ness to the inside concerns me.

I am going to burn out the inside of the drum its to hard to get in there with a grinder
and grind it out i also tried thinner and that didn't work either so a all day burn at work will help i hope thanks for all the comments and a thanks to norco for the dimensions
can't wait for the first cook.

Food grade usually means that it has something like a reddish epoxy-phenolic blend or straight phenolic lining that is really tough to get out. Can takes more time than building the UDS itself, but you gotta get it all out of there.

Not everyone has success with getting it all out by burning alone.

Socialwelder, great job on your UDS! Love that fish picture!:cool::biggrin:

Back