I think I'm a little confused(as usual)

M

mredowling

I think I'm a little confused(as usual)
how many big time BBQ events are there each year?
i know about sparks rib-cook off which is headed by kcbs? i think?
then there's Memphis in may and the jack Daniels "invitational" which is by invitation only?
so what I'm asking i guess is this; What are the top 5 or so BBQ events each year and are the top three the ones listed above and am i correct about what Ive written about said events?
also the kcbs uses the same point system as nascar more or less as in if you go to all the events don't place first but take 2ND-3rd in every one you ll win by way of points?
please post any clarifications and link to official rules if you know those?

There are many "Big Time" bbq contests, depending on your definition of "Big Time". I think any list would include the American Royal, Memphis in May, Jack Daniels and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.

"Big Time" contest would include but may not be limited to...
American Royal Invitational (KCBS in Oct. - must be invited to participate)
American Royal Open (KCBS in Oct.)
Great American BBQ Invitational (KCBS in May - must be invited to participate)
Great American BBQ Open (KCBS in May)
Memphis in May (MBN in May)
Jack Daniels (must be invited to participate - not sanctioned although they do use KCBS rules)
Houston Livestock & Rodeo (February; not sanctioned)

Other big contests (all KCBS with close to or more than 100 teams participating)
Lenexa, KS (June, 185 teams)
Hot Springs, AR (Sept, 90-100 teams)
Shawnee, KS (Sept, 100+ teams)

There are numerous contests with 50 - 80 teams as well. I can't speak for other large MBN or IBCA contests (or other sanctioned events for that matter), but I know there are a few more.

As for the Sparks contest, it is a multiday event that several vendors attend to sell ribs and a variety of other BBQ food. This is one of many "Rib Fests" that happen in cities across the country. They serve thousands of people and the actual contest among the vendors is not sanctioned and only judges ribs. I haven't been to this event, but it's great on TV.

There are many "Big Time" bbq contests, depending on your definition of "Big Time". I think any list would include the American Royal, Memphis in May, Jack Daniels and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.

That is the truth.

A lot of the "perception" of "Big Time" is regional, historical, or emotional.

I know the West Coast Bros have high regards for Mandalay Bay, if I remember correctly.

The one often ignored is the "Best of the Best" in Douglas, Ga each fall. Only the top "Teams of the Year" from the 13 sanctioning bodies are invited. Really tough crowd and a big time event, for sure.

Heck, there is a steak cookoff in AR each year that is covered by FoodTV that surely fits my description of Big Time.

Just jump in and enjoy the events in your area.
They are all fine!

TIM

You will know what the big time events are (which are important to you) once you get into BBQ competition. That is what will help shape your goal into what you want to compete in eventually. That is what drives you. (well, it did me anyway, now I don't know what the hell to do. )

I would also say in the last few years... the Smoke on the Water events have gotten some momentum...

BBQuelossal in Iowa.... Great bend has the Chest to Chest Brisket invitational... Shannon, IL has the butt 2 butt....

Lots of big events... And of course the Battle of the BBQ Brethen...

Best of the Best in Georgia

thanks guys, just woundering. Sorry if i was going in every direction at once!! like to get ahead of myself. good advice as always. bottom line is to have fun and eat ofcourse!!

thanks guys, just woundering. Sorry if i was going in every direction at once!! like to get ahead of myself. good advice as always. bottom line is to have fun and eat ofcourse!!

You'll get tired quick of eating BBQ during competitions. I can say i don't know of anyone who competes with any sort of regularity actually enjoys eating BBQ anymore.

Exactly...

You'll get tired quick of eating BBQ during competitions. I can say i don't know of anyone who competes with any sort of regularity actually enjoys eating BBQ anymore.

How sad...:cry: I think if and when I get tired of eating good BBQ...I'll stop competing as well. The quest for good Q fuels the passion fires...IMHO! :p

Exactly...

How sad...:cry: I think if and when I get tired of eating good BBQ...I'll stop competing as well. The quest for good Q fuels the passion fires...IMHO! :p

trust me, once you get a lot of contests under your belt, it will become a heck of a lot more about the freinds you make and the spirit of competition, than just eating good BBQ and the quest for good BBQ. Probably right now, you already make damn good BBQ, so enjoy the rest of what competition is about.

Gotta side with Podge on this, for me at least. During the contest I'll taste my stuff, but usually spit most of it out. Gets to be sensory overload. I still enjoy eating a little of my leftovers during the following week, but it's getting to be less and less. Contests now are about the fun, friends, and competition.

I won't take any home after the comp. If we're lucky, someone's there visiting and wants to take it. Otherwise, it gets sealed up and put in the freezer at The Slab Lab.

I can say i don't know of anyone who competes with any sort of regularity actually enjoys eating BBQ anymore.

Yeah, could not agree more...which is pretty bad considering I first got into this because I could not find any decent BBQ around the Cleveland area....now it is baby taste, as much to test consistency of the meat and flavor, but, once a contest is over, I dont want to see it, smell it, taste it for a while.....but, does that mean that I dont enjoy BBQ, no, but, it is not in my top 10 things to eat

Gotta side with Podge on this, for me at least. During the contest I'll taste my stuff, but usually spit most of it out. Gets to be sensory overload. I still enjoy eating a little of my leftovers during the following week, but it's getting to be less and less. Contests now are about the fun, friends, and competition.

i am like you but i dont taste at all now my wife or kids do or people there with me do. mostly because i HATE BBQ i dont like the taste and never will.as for big contest? well we have menomonee falls big money and many teams.

And it only took one season 3 comps to get there :shock:.And yet for some reason we are practicing chicken today :twisted:

practicing chicken today :twisted:
Those are bad, bad words in this house.
I hit the wall about two weeks before the Jack, on the third batch of chicken for that day :icon_sick

We try our best to have comp food "spoken for" before we ever pull out of the driveway. Practice food gets foodsavered up for the nice people who ask us for it from time to time, and let's not forget that VQ's poker buddies are VERY accommodating about helping with BBQ disposal. :cool:

Overexposure just happens. It would be the same with any other food we were handling that frequently -- I feel sorry for the poor souls who work at Krispy Kreme, they tell me they'll "never" touch one again. I know that "never" is an awfully long time, though, and it only took me about four weeks of total layoff to be willing to face a rack of spares again.
shiner.gif

Diva,it was time for something else.Pork has been on the menu other than christmas for the last 2 months.

Back