Any Fabricators here?

Mutha Chicken BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
OK guy's My trig is off and I am stumped!

I have a new to me Pig cooker and the lid is a little heavey and auckward to lift. I want to put a counter balance on it and I am not really sure where to start.Here is what I have figured so far.

A= 6.97ft

C=9.42ft

It is a 3X5ft cooker Pics at bottom

So with these figures I figure the Door weight to be 117.0755lbs
I am thinking of taking the middle point of the lid= 13.22in
Extending (2) 1 1/2 pipes with a length of 26" ataching a piece of 4"pipe to the end across the length of the cooker onto them that should be a weight of 54lbs, as the weight of 4" pipe is 10.89lbs per foot

So the question is-

A) am I starting the counter balance rods in the right place on the cooker?
B) Is my thinking right is this enough weight to properly balance the door? Not really sure if a leverage law applies or if there is a mathmatical function for this?

Any help or suggestions would be apreciated
IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

The weight need to be closer to the hinge ande angle towards teh back so that when you open the door it gives some asssit to opening. A 3" pipe can be filled with lead shot to tune the weight
Mike

The weight need to be closer to the hinge ande angle towards teh back so that when you open the door it gives some asssit to opening. A 3" pipe can be filled with lead shot to tune the weight
Mike

I apologize, After reading my ramblings I should clairify--

I would place the extension rods along the line from the opening or frontside of the lid follow straight through the 13" line to extend back behind the lid Aprox. 13" behind the hinge.

I apologize, After reading my ramblings I should clairify--

I would place the extension rods along the line from the opening or frontside of the lid follow straight through the 13" line to extend back behind the lid Aprox. 13" behind the hinge.
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that you would want to keep the weight less than 6 degrees behind the hinge fulcrum. This will allow the counterbalance to work for you and help keep the lid closed.

Mutha Chicken PM me and I can steer you to guys who do this stuff.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that you would want to keep the weight less than 6 degrees behind the hinge fulcrum. This will allow the counterbalance to work for you and help keep the lid closed.

Wow thanks, Is that a given the 6 degrees or less?

Next would be the travel and actual weight.

Back