How to get juicy ribs everytime?

J

jmoney7269

Is there any way to get super juicy ribs every time or at least most of the time?
I have noticed that my ribs sometimes are dry. Really good flavor and perfect bite, but dry. I buy the well marbled ribs that are natural. I was thinking about doing an experiment on some ribs. Was gonna do some brined, some marinated, and some injected and see what I can come up with. Our ribs in comps do well, but just ain't hittin the top 3 near as much as they used to. Maybe I should try some different brands. I hear Kroger has good ribs. We been using farmland with good results but can't find them anymore. The ibp's are good and I will never buy the swift "natural" ever again. Tasted like boiled gray pork meat and were dry (the ones we used at the comp this weekend.
You can even drop me a p/m if you like, I will keep it a secret if ya want. Gotta get my comp ribs back up to standard.

Ya know some people say that injecting ribs is a waste of time.....

I'm not one of those people!!! :p

I soak mine overnight in an applejuice, water, worchestershire mixture (after removing the membrane). Never had dry ribs... Many times I'll buy them by the case; so many aren't perfect by a long shot. Not dry though. I do foil, and I spritz them a little heavily before sealing the foil.

No I havent asked the question before, we'll I don't think.
Gonna try soaking them one time aslo to see what that does

I can usually get a 3.5 lb St Louis slab to take AND HOLD 1-1/2 to 2 cups of injection. On comp days I wonder if I'll be able to time my cook perfectly. I wonder if the flavor profile will be what my table of judges wants. I never wonder if my ribs will be juicy!

Just a thought.

We don't inject or brine. Just season, cook, wrap, rest, done.
We do foil and we have a very specific timeline that we cook to every single competition. Ribs aren't ever dry. We've switched ribs a few times here and there, but everything else has remained the same for at least the last 20-25 comps.

I think the only thing that will yield any consistent results is complete consistency (as much as can be controlled). Once it starts working, don't change a thing.
As with the other meats, if you can work out how to cook the meat without anything (other than rub/seasoning) properly (read:juicy here), then cook it THAT way consistently. Then, adding injections, brines, etc are only going to enhance the flavor, moisture, tenderness, etc. I think that these things just widen a window of ideal conditions for moisture, tenderness, etc, anyway. If you have to rely on just the injection or brine or whatever and otherwise have trouble developing a juicy product (and I'm not saying that is what those that do inject or soak or brine are doing or can't otherwise cook without them) then you miss the mark and you'll likely struggle with things.

I'm just babbling now, but I'm saying that I think the cook is the most important thing about developing juicy ribs every time.

I think my biggest issue at the moment is getting quality ribs. Seems stores are going to this enhanced crap

We don't inject or brine. Just season, cook, wrap, rest, done.
We do foil and we have a very specific timeline that we cook to every single competition. Ribs aren't ever dry. We've switched ribs a few times here and there, but everything else has remained the same for at least the last 20-25 comps.

I think the only thing that will yield any consistent results is complete consistency (as much as can be controlled). Once it starts working, don't change a thing.
As with the other meats, if you can work out how to cook the meat without anything (other than rub/seasoning) properly (read:juicy here), then cook it THAT way consistently. Then, adding injections, brines, etc are only going to enhance the flavor, moisture, tenderness, etc. I think that these things just widen a window of ideal conditions for moisture, tenderness, etc, anyway. If you have to rely on just the injection or brine or whatever and otherwise have trouble developing a juicy product (and I'm not saying that is what those that do inject or soak or brine are doing or can't otherwise cook without them) then you miss the mark and you'll likely struggle with things.

I'm just babbling now, but I'm saying that I think the cook is the most important thing about developing juicy ribs every time.

What? And you aren't going to share your timeline? :biggrin1:

You guys going to New Pal this weekend?

Back