Butt Injection

jhuyser

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone have a good pork butt injection recipe they would like to share? I have some awesome pickle juice I saved from some none commercial pickles. I would like some how to use this in a injection. Has anyone ever tried that?

I have not used pickle juice. However, I inject my shoulders with plain jane creole butter. At the end of the day, the creole butter makes the pork taste more "zesty" without tasting like straight up marinade. Weird how that works. Do that with chicken, and it tastes like the marinade.

There is no reason to inject a pork butt I does absolutely nothing. Everything that butts needs to be absolutely delicious is already in it. All it needs is smoke & time.

Wampus gave me this and it was real good!!!

Chris Lilly's Six-Time World Championship Pork Shoulder Injection
Recipe for 2 butts
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup table salt (I either use kosher salt or cut back a little on the table salt)
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce

Combine all ingredients and stir until sugar and salt are dissolved.

Recipe for 2 butts
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup table salt (I either use kosher salt or cut back a little on the table salt)

I second this

Honestly I have been wanting to do a SxS cook, one injected and one not, all other prep and cook the same. I think there is a difference, but maybe its just my mind *wanting* there to be a difference.

WAIT... Has anybody else done this and started a thread about it?

**EDIT** Search is my friend, found it!

BUTT injection

I agree I generally don't inject, but I like to try some new things.

Recipe for 2 butts
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar

A fairly high percentage of competitors who inject use their own version of this (above).

Me, I found that this above is too salty for my palate, and that if I back off of the water the apple juice is sweet enough, so I go without the sugar as well. I enjoy just the apple juice, Worcestershire, and some of my rub to tie in the external and internal flavors.

A fairly high percentage of competitors who inject use their own version of this (above).

Me, I found that this above is too salty for my palate. I enjoy just the apple juice, Worcestershire, and some of my rub to tie in the external and internal flavors.

yeah, I cut the salt way back on this. The worchestershire has plenty of salt already in it

There is no reason to inject a pork butt I does absolutely nothing. Everything that butts needs to be absolutely delicious is already in it. All it needs is smoke & time.

I would have to respectfully disagree with this :mrgreen:. I end up with nice pulled pork, but I never feel there is a lot of flavor past the bark and smoke ring. I sometimes sprinkle some of my rub on the pork after it's pulled, but I would like to try an injection also.

Last edited:
I would have to respectfully disagree with this :mrgreen:. I end up with nice pulled pork, but I never feel there is a lot of flavor past the bark and smoke ring. I sometimes sprinkle some of my rub on the pork after it's pulled, but I would like to try an injection also.

I do it (inject) for the reason you stated above, and I've done more than one side-by-side tests (injected and uninjected) to taste and see if there are any other differences. There are. I find mine to be slightly more moist (but I also foil; dare I say it) and you can taste the apple juice, slightly, and by putting the rub in the injection it delivers the flavors all around; everything tastes just a little bit "barkish".

I don't mean for this to be a highjack, but I saw a video of a fellow injecting only into the fat on a butt. Is this common practice? Before I saw the video, I was thinking I would inject into the meat itself.

+1 into the meat, because most of the fat renders (if cooked properly) and the remainder is removed (of not shredded back into the meat using one of those shredding devices).

Recipe for 2 butts
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar

another vote for this one

Back