Beef Category - No Brisket.

Code3BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys. There is a local one day event coming up with 3 categories, Ribs, Chicken, & Beef. It's a one day comp which will not really be enough time for a Brisket. I know, I know, some will say to do high & fast. I don't have a lot of experience with those so I don't want to choose this event to try. ;).

So my question is, what other type of beef options would you guys suggest ? The organizer says its an open field category, so be creative.

Thanks guys !!!!

Tri-tip would be my go to, although a prime rib/standing rib roast is never bad.

Really though, a nice choice or prime tri-tip or picanha is what I would do.

You could always do your brisket hot and fast, although I would probably do a rib roast... so good.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I certainly have some choices. Is it common to see such a wide open beef category (obviously non KCBS) ?

From a judges perspective, it would seem like its an uneven playing field and subjective based on what their preference may be for one kind of beef over another ?

I always wondered if you could do meatloaf in an open category competition. Anyone know?

Since you're in CA...tri-tip would me my choice. Tenderloin would be a second choice.

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
I would suggest checking the rules for and be clear what is and is not allowed. Every open ended category like that I've cooked in results in somebody turning in bacon wrapped Tenderloin, stuffed with blue crab and black truffle blah..blah...blah Spending more on the entry than the prize.

If its open. Tenderloin with a compound butter. Simple salt and pepper for seasoning. Cook to medium rare and make sure you let it sit to settle the juices. Money

That sounds absolutely delicious. I might have to give this one some thought.:clap2:

Back