What to do with leftover pulled pork?

Artfuldodger

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hello I just built a UDS and smoked a couple of Boston Butts, everything turned out perfect. We've been eating BBQ sandwiches and plates for a few days and gave some of the meat to friends. I'm planning on freezing the rest but wondered what recipes or dishes I could use the meat for? It doesn't have a lot of sauce on it as we were adding sauce as we made the sandwiches.

My standby for leftover Q is Brunswick Stew. However, we have fallen in love recently with pulled pork pizza.

You can make shredded pork burritos, tacos, tamales out of it. Pork Chili.

I've also taken to putting it on an egg between a split biscuit. Now that's a good morning!

What can't one do with it is the question. When making a lot of pulled pork for myself, I do not sauce some of it at all so I have it to use in a variety of manners.

A lot of times I add it to frozen boxed up meals that I'm warming/cooking up to make it more filling (and taste good). I think it's great on cheaper frozen pizzas or store bought burritos. And until recently, BBQ, pizza and burritos was pretty much my evening diet til I decided that spare tire around my gut was increasing too fast. Now I've changed to BBQ and lots of veggies.

Pulled Pork Dip...
1/2 C Real mayo
1/2 C Sour Cream
1 C Smoked, pulled pork - chopped fine
Chipotle ~or~ Smoked Habanero pwd, to taste
Horseradish, to taste
Salt & Fresh black pepper
A touch of Wooster if you wish
Dipping chip, cracker of your choice

Pulled Pork Tarts ~or~ Rangoons...
Replace Mayo w/1 C Cream cheese
1 Scallion - sliced
Pastry dough ~or~ Won ton wrappers

Cut pastry dough into squares or circles. Fill center of dough ~or~ wrappers with spoonful of filling. Wet edge of wrapper, fold over and press to seal. Bake tarts @ 450* until golden (@ 12-15 mins). Deep fry rangoons @ 375* until golden brown (@ 1-2 mins), turning once.

Or...Press wontons in muffin tin. Add some pulled pork or chopped brisket and top with a spoonfull of filling (other toppings as you see fit). Bake @ 350* until hot 'n bubblin'.

Here's a dandy...

Fat Johnny's Pulled Pork Pistolettes ~ Chez, The BBBQ Forum (Mar 2007)

The caramelized onion sourdough:
5 cups +/- good bread flour (I use King Arthur)
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp garlic salt
1 large sweet yellow onion
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp bacon fat
1 cup sourdough starter
1/2 cup warm milk
1 egg
1/2 cup warm water
1 tsp sugar
1 packet yeast

The smoked/pulled pork bbq filling:
1# of leftover smoked/pulled pork, chopped
1/2 cup +/- your favorite bbq sauce (I used Blues Hog)
1 cup small diced or shredded aged white cheddar
12-14 dill pickle sliced, diced

Preheat oven to 375*

Set the sourdough starter out overnight, to activate. Bloom the yeast in the 1/2 cup warm water and tsp sugar. Whisk the warm milk and egg together. While the yeast is blooming, chop the onion and begin caramelizing it in the butter and bacon grease ... small saute' pan medium heat until onion is nice and sweet and golden. Put the flour, 2 Tbsp sugar and garlic salt in mixer bowl with dough hook ... start slowly mixing, and dump in all the caramelized onions and butter/bacon fat. Now combine all the wet ingredients (should be about 2 cups total) and add to the flour/onion in the mixing bowl. Mix with dough hook until dough ball forms and pulls away from the bowl. If it's too wet, add a lil' more flour ... if it's too dry, add a lil' more warm water. Once dough forms, let it mix/knead slowly for about 5 minutes ... then remove dough ball to a lightly oiled bowl, cover and let sit in warm place to rise. This first proof takes about an hour.

Mix together all the pork filling ingredients, and let come up to room temp while you're making the bread dough. The stuffed buns bake better if the filling is not cold.

After dough proofs (doubles in size) ... punch it down, knead a lil' bit and cut it into 16 equal portions ... roll each out into a 5" round ... put a couple big heapin' Tbsp of the meat mixture in the middle, and pull the dough up around the filling - pinch to seal and set on greased baking sheet seal side down with 1" gaps between them. Cover loosly and set pan in warm place to proof again for about 30 minutes. Just before going into oven, poke a couple slits in top of each pistolette to allow steam to escape. Bake for about 15 minutes, then remove 'n brush with melted herb butter (thyme) ... back into oven to finish baking ... another 5-10 minutes, until golden brown. Remove to rack to cool slightly before eating.
NOTE...If you don't have sourdough starter on hand, just use a good bread or roll recipe, like Ray Basso's Mom's rolls, or Lambert's roll recipe. You can still add the caramelized onions to either of these recipes, and end up with a dandy onion bun, regardless of whether you stuff them or not!

Last edited by a moderator:
wow some great recipes -

I like the pulled pork pizza and nachoes. I also do the enchilada thing. However, I only can do this when I do not use my drunken apple marinade.

How about a recipe for Pulled Pork Pizza? Sounds like it has some promise, but never tried it.

How about a recipe for Pulled Pork Pizza? Sounds like it has some promise, but never tried it.
Speaking as a former pie thrower it does not belong on pizza, neither does salad, taco, ziti, and the thousand other thing i have seen put on a pie.

Pull pork freezes very good. Or put bbq sauce on it then freeze in smalllsingle serving container you have a quick meal

whatever

pulledporkpizza-002.jpg

pulledporkpizza-007.jpg

or maybe an atomic buffalo pattie

atomicbuffalopattie-012.jpg

Back