I just gotta ask

Blanton

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
But please no flames:icon_shy

Yardbird rub come up in everyone's favorite list. All I taste in it is salt, to the point of wondering if I got a poorly mixed batch. What am I missing. Are you guys doing something different with it?

I get everyones different but this is the first rub I didn't taste any flavor in.

I love it, I put it on everything except ice cream.

I have had 2 people complain about tasting the salt too much, but that isn't the norm, most everyone that eats what I cook loves the stuff.

I thikn it is a very salty rub as well. However the flavor is really good and the key for me is to go easy with the rub.

How are you tasting it? If you lick your finger, stick it in the bottle, then eat it, it will definitely taste salty. If it's part of a bark that gets mixed in (pulled pork), it's not too salty. I've also noticed that it's hotter when I grill with it than when I smoke with it.

I thikn it is a very salty rub as well. However the flavor is really good and the key for me is to go easy with the rub.

I have considered using it again lightly now that I see how salty it is. That very well could be it

Same opinion here. It pretty much tastes like Lawrey's with black pepper to me. I use it as a layer.

It's a good rub. All ya gotta do is cook with it to find out. To me it's kinda savory with a little sweet. I add chipotle to mine.

To me it's bland, I much prefer 3eyes & SM in pecan or pepperd cow....again it's all in personal preference. That is why I suggested a rub profile earlier describing what the main flavors are and the temp factor.

Taste some straight up salt, then taste it again.
SURELY you can't be tasting JUST salt?

It may be salty, but salt is a pretty common ingredient in a lot of rubs, not only just salt, but sometimes also garlic salt, onion salt, celery salt, etc.

The salt does magical things with the protein to create some amazing bark.

I use it on ribs and chicken. Because it is salty, I use a layer of SM Cherry and the Yardbird if I want a bark on ribs. On chicken, just use it lightly... and be careful if the chicken is enhanced or has been brined as both contain salt.

I don't taste too much salt in it, but I don't typically put on a thick layer of any rub I use either.

I agree, it used to be my hands down favorite, but I've taken a lot of salt out of my diet and I think that may make me taste the salt even more now or something. :loco: It's still a good rub, but I don't reach for it as much as I used to.

Back