Salt & Pepper brisket bs

Yeah I go with the old 50/50 rub with a little garlic, (actually a lot of garlic) and maybe some cayenne for more pop, (depending on weather there's kids or elderly eating it). I rub the meat down first with oil, then apply the rub. Spices (which contain their own natural oils) are oil and water soluble and really awaken when combined with the moisture of the meat and the oil slather. I believe Johnny Trigg uses that method on his meat and lets it sit for an hour or so to allow the rub to liquefy just before he puts it on his pit.

I cooked almost 1000lbs of brisket with Aaron last year at meatopia... he mixed his rub in a 5 gallon pail right in front of me..

salt & pepper. That was it.. 45 briskets, cooked on a double lang using oak. He did spray the briskets during the cook.

it was a peoples choice event with over 100 chefs cooking their specialties.

Aaron won.

Any idea what he was spraying on them?

IMO, there is a far smaller chance to waste a brisket by using salt and pepper than by listening to a majority of the advice you find on the internet about cooking brisket.

Just go to youtube and search for texas brisket. You'll see all sorts of really poor cooking going on. Example, 22 hours in dirty smoke... blech. That's not Texas brisket!

Just S&P is very good. But many times when people tell you they just use S&P it's code for "I ain't tellin' you anything". I also disagree about the pit being more important than the pitmaster. That would be like saying it is the golf clubs rather than the person using them.

I believe that's the case here. Bon appetit magazine calls it the best que un the country and you think that (a) it's just s& p and (2) hes gonna tell everyone on national tv what he's really using? I don't buy it.

I have done the gamut, I think that a properly cooked hunk of meat will always shine through. Unless you do something really nuts, like add a cup of Cayenne pepper, going with something like salt and pepper, or something with 10 ingredients, you cook the meat right, it will be the star. If you are saying salt & pepper and using Lawry's, then you are not using just salt and pepper.

I have, for some time, really disliked people that answer with a lie, and one of these guys seems to be telling a fib, heck, maybe they both are. I also dislike the 'if I told you, I would have to kill you' line.

As to the cooker, yeah, it is the cook. But, if I am using a cooker that I know will do what I ask it to do, and do it quickly, then I will be a better cook. Flat out, the best equipment will make a good cook better, but, it won't help a bad cook at all.

The only recipes I will not give out are the recipes to our products we sell. Which I would hope is understandable. But outside of those three products I spill the beans on anything I do or try.

But yeah, one or both of these dudes is fibin'.

I have done the gamut, I think that a properly cooked hunk of meat will always shine through. Unless you do something really nuts, like add a cup of Cayenne pepper, going with something like salt and pepper, or something with 10 ingredients, you cook the meat right, it will be the star. If you are saying salt & pepper and using Lawry's, then you are not using just salt and pepper.

I have, for some time, really disliked people that answer with a lie, and one of these guys seems to be telling a fib, heck, maybe they both are. I also dislike the 'if I told you, I would have to kill you' line.

As to the cooker, yeah, it is the cook. But, if I am using a cooker that I know will do what I ask it to do, and do it quickly, then I will be a better cook. Flat out, the best equipment will make a good cook better, but, it won't help a bad cook at all.

In general, if I have a recipe someone wants, I give it to them, with the caveat that I measure rarely, and poorly, so it is all estimates. Now, if I had a business, say a rub business, then I would just politely decline, saying I normally share recipes, but, this is my business and I simply can't give that recipe away. But to lie, in a purposeful way, to misdirect someones efforts, that rubs me wrong.

I used to see it in fishing all the time, someone asking about what someone is using, and the more experienced fisherman lying about the fly or bait he is using.

Sounds like John-boy has an axe to grind - not sure I trust anything he says as Aaron's wannabe competitor. Even so, good luck to him and I might try some pickle juice next brisquet.

I made beef ribs last week with the S&P rub... Best beef ribs I have ever made! I plan to do a brisket cook the same way. The truly rich beef flavor is heightened in my opinion. Also, my wife does not like beef ribs or brisket, but the ribs came off juicy and tender so she tried some... about 10 times! I think she's hooked now. :-D

I've tried a 1/2 dozen commercial brisket rubs. I don't like them. I do 1/4cup kosher salt and 1/4 cup of course grain pepper on every brisket. Comes out great and everyone loves them. The key is getting the grain sizes to match the 50/50 portion.

And I've met Aaron Franklin. He is no liar.

I have heard him say water & worcestershire in a spray bottle before wrapping somewhere in the past

I just smoked my best brisket yet using Aaron's Dalmatian rub. He shares info freely.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU"]BBQ with Franklin: The Brisket - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
I know...it's farkin' crazy talk to think that a rival pitmaster of Aaron's would be spillin' the beans on how his brisket can't possibly be just an S&P rub and he couldn't possibly be fibbin'?!?!?!

Next thing you know, they'll be saying that's all a lie that people in/from NC only sprinkle their pork with salt before throwing it on the pit and if that's all we/they did, it would be absolutely horrible!!!

Truth be told, I use to muck up a lot of meat trying different rubs and what not. In the end, less is more.

For those that think the S&P rub is to salty, I'd recommend using Dixie Crystals kosher instead of Morton. I also add in a little granulated garlic and onion to my rub.

But I can assure you that you won't ruin any cut of meat with some thing so simple as long as it's a good quality grade/cut to begin with.

As far as what Aaron sprays on his brisket, it is a 50/50 of water and worcestershire.

Here's a thread I put up about my experience with Aaron's technique and the results. Hands down the best brisket I had cooked to date:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143631

I love it when I hear about one little thing that is new to me.

Pickle juice in the slather,... Hmmmm.

Spraying with Wooster and water - this sounds like something to try. I put Wooster in my juice based pork sprays, but don't really like any sweet on beef. Years ago I used a salt and pepper spray (I think it came from a Weber cookbook) on steaks... it just sort of fell out of fashion with me.

Using seasoned salt, salt, pepper, granulated garlic (and possibly celery salt or ground celery seed) is common, as is a mustard slather (I cut the mustard with Worcestershire), but that pickle juice has me thinkin'.

not sure who or what he is calling bs on. but i take umbrage to that if its directed towards those that use only s&p. i use s&p on many of my cooks, in fact most. on pork butts and briskets i may slather some mustard on for a bit more crust but not always. its what i prefer. after using differant rubs i decided i didn't like rubs interfering with the meat.we all have differant taste buds and likes and that should be accepted by others.

Back