contest trucks

B

beam boys bbq

whell my f250 has pulled her last contest

i found out i was over weight by twice it pulling

so i am stepping up to an semi

here is my question do i have ot meet all dot requirements to drive this

i was told that as long as i put not for hire on the door and my bbq name on the door it was good to go

I do have my CDL if i do need it but i just wanted your thoughts

york

24,600lbjust ready for an contest
26,000 with water
28,700 water contest and fuel in generator tanks

OMG
that is what the ford dealer said when we did the weight break down
:|

it is an halmark toyhauler
38 feet long
the problem is it is an bumber hitch
the welding shop is redoing the toung to an tracktor plate to fit the semi
the semi was 7000.00 not bad for that big of equipment
and a new toy:mrgreen:

I may be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure that the only way you won't need to meet the CDL / Commercial Vehicle requirements is if it is registered as a motor home or recreational vehicle. Putting "Not For Hire" on the truck only means that you are not subject to the PUC or ICC regulations for commercial, or "For Hire", trucks.

Your Licence requirement is based Vehicle size and number of axles
Yes?
I have a CDL, been driving for years
The new test ( LOL 10 years ago) is really not easy

My other hobby (rally racing) forum just went through the whole CDL discussion this link is to page 2 of that discussion where a lot of information started to come out. Might be helpful.

http://specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36335&page=2

The background was a team got caught in MN and had to hire a driver to one way them to Washington State and fly the guy back.

I drove for years for a Drag racing team, that used a semi truck to haul their equipment. This was always a slippery slope, as that the owner never had a CDL license. It was labeled as "not for hire", we never had any problems.

Later he bought a "toter home", which was also labelled as ' not for hire". We would have a little trouble out west, where you had to stop for inspections at state lines. In most cases, the officals didn't know exactly what to do, so they just let you go.

If you have a valid CDL and DOT medical card, as I do, I would't hesitate to use the semi truck. Make sure you clear the cab of any DOT # or Icc markings. Put "not for hire" on the doors, in 3 in. letters and let it go. Always pay the fuel tax when you buy fuel, and carry the receipt with you. A lot of state money in fuel taxes.

Well, having been a safety director for a trucking company for six years, I can safely say that almost no one is a total expert on interpreting the laws on this matter. But during that time it was my job to enforce the regulations that cover the matter being discussed here. And here's how I understand things.

It's important to understand that while the states issue the license, all of their actions are governed by feds. Namely the FMCSA and DOT. The FMCSA has spelled out all of the rules in a part of the Code of Federal Regulations. In this case it is part 49. Of importance here specifically is 49CFR 383.91 which list what license is required for which vehicle. Also look at 383.3 which list exemptions to these requirements and note that the exemptions are basically for farmers and govt workers. Nothing exempts Q'sters. The requirements for licensing as I understand things are based on the capability of the truck to be used as a commercial vehicle rather than it's actual use as one. So that said, I would advise going into your state DMV and telling them what truck and trailer you will be pulling and they will tell you which license to get. It sounds to me like you will be needing a Class B. Also note that I believe (but ask the DMV guy) that putting the "NOT FOR HIRE" on the side of your truck limits your need to maintain a logbook. But don't quote me on that one... Here's a link to the publication that I'm talking about. http://frwebgate3.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/PDFgate.cgi?WAISdocID=1120674863+5+2+0&WAISaction=retrieve

Also be sure to check with your vehicle licensing entity to discuss the need for IFTA registration. Being as you're not a commercial enterprise, I'm not sure you have to participate but better to find out than to be fined out the arse for not registering.

I have problems backing a utility trailer at a comp; a 38 foot trailer and a semi is impressive (at least to me). Congrats.

I have problems backing a utility trailer at a comp; a 38 foot trailer and a semi is impressive (at least to me). Congrats.

A semi is easier to back than a boat trailer! When I was in my last year of college and a year after, I hauled produce. My interview went like this (I aint making it up); Jeff, can you back a hay wagon - yep. Can you back a boat trailer - sure. Your hired.

York, would love to see your wife's face when she found out you are buying a Semi

I want pics of that trailer!:mrgreen: I want to see 12+ tons of fun!

Seriously, I'd take a look at a new trailer before buying a tractor and all the extra maintenance costs etc.... A brake job on my 1 ton is quite a bit more exepensive than any 1/2 ton I've owned even if I do it myself. I can't put a semi on jack stands in the driveway to save on labor either.

More power to you if that's what floats your boat!:mrgreen::mrgreen: Bigger might not always be better, but it's almost always cool!:wink::mrgreen:

here is what i have been talking about

the trailer weight 18,000. with nothing in it at all

york

Attachments

• 105_0883.jpg
    105_0883.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 207
What's that made of... structural steel and lead ingots? I've got a 35' toy hauler 5'er that weighs a little over 8k empty.

Back