Need New smoker

riding9

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I just discovered this forum a week ago and now looking for a new smoker. Im in the Pittsburgh area and can't find a drum to build my own so what is the best for under $400.00?

+1 on the WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain)

BTW, I lived in Mount Lebanon for a few years. Where are you?

CD

Yeh I have to agree with the WSM. Sure it costs a little but well worth it.

WSM is a good choice for a beginner cooker. How many people are you generally going to be cooking for? Is this going to serve as a grill too, or just a smoker? Need it to be portable?

agree with all of the above, go with the 22" WSM. i started with the chargrillers and made all the modifications to them but hardly use them now that i got the WSM's. great smokers.

Sombody got to have a drum
My vote. Uds. Save some $ for meat..... wood, charcoal,lump.
If you got 400 heck you could order a brand new stainless & make us all jealous. Heck you have weber lid ,2 grates,temp control. And I hear some say they like their uds better. Cause it holds temp better.

Usually cooking for about 10 people and it doesn't need to be portable. I heard that the 22wsm is hard to maintain a temp under 275 is that true and thanks for all the responses.

Usually cooking for about 10 people and it doesn't need to be portable. I heard that the 22wsm is hard to maintain a temp under 275 is that true and thanks for all the responses.

WSM's of either size run a little hot until they're "broken in" which, if you fill it with butts could be one cook:mrgreen:

While they are good for "beginners" I'm sure Slap Yo' Daddy or Rhythm & Que would both tell you they work ok for "pros'" as well!

I have few if any temp issues with any of mine, and when I do, it's usually because something got bent out of round during transport, which is easily fixed. Mine all settle in around 230-260 once they're going right

I know many use stokers or guru's on theirs, but I've found no need for one.

I have nothing against UDS's, and you sure can't beat the price, but for performance, portability, and price, I don't think you can come close to a WSM, even if it isn't anywhere near as "sexy" as a Jambo, Spicewine, BWS, PCC, etc. And none of those are even remotely in your stated price range!

Back