View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #28
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

[QUOTE=neuyawk;2207009]It kinda seems like the pastrami styles in NYC. Over at Katz's Deli, a major institution, they cook the pastrami til it's so tender you need to hand cut it as the slicing machines will simply cause it to just flake apart.

At 2nd Ave Deli, the pastrami holds on more densely and it can be sliced on a machine.

Both styles are delicious. Perhaps what the KCBS guys are looking for is not what Texans are looking for? What's overcooked for one is an example of perfect brisket for the other?[/QUOTE]

Exactly!!! And that's why I've decided that my short competition career is likely no more. I just can't wrap my head around the idea of cooking some thing to standards that I myself don't necessarily enjoy or like. Nothing against it, I've just decided that it's not my thing. And it's not like I was a failure at it and gave up. I have a few trophies and top finishes, so it wasn't like I sucked at it. It just came down to the fact that I'd rather cook to the standards of what I, my family and friends enjoy instead of what people have been "told" what BBQ should look, taste, and feel like. Now, I'll likely shift my interest and energy back the catering side of the house.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->