$299 Char-Griller Kamado First Looks

I got mine two days ago. My seasoning burn went just like Zwiled's. No leaks and easy temp control. I used all natural Stubb's bricks. After 2 hours seasoning I cooked a tri-tip and it came out juicy and delicious. I added a chunk of manzanita for extra flavor. Last night I cooked Chicken breasts on it and tonight,steaks. I think Mr. Setzler had a brilliant idea using the Weber charcoal grate on the diffuser level. I will buy one soon and a clay saucer too for a grease catcher,diffuser, water pan combo.

Heck of a feeding frenzy you started JM.

These are gonna be sold out in a hurry.

Heck of a feeding frenzy you started JM.

These are gonna be sold out in a hurry.

I sorta hope they are successful, not just because I own one, but I have had previous experience with a CG gas grill and I was very pleased with it. I also hope all these folks who have bought one recently don't turn out to be unhappy with them.

I sorta hope they are successful, not just because I own one, but I have had previous experience with a CG gas grill and I was very pleased with it. I also hope all these folks who have bought one recently don't turn out to be unhappy with them.

I have the offset and it's terrible, but I want one of these.

I have the offset and it's terrible, but I want one of these.

I had the #3001 gas grill and loved it. I loved it dearly all the way up to the point where I gave it to my GF's brother. I didn't rid myself of it because it wasn't a good grill. I just switched back to charcoal and didn't use it anymore. My GF and I both decided that we preferred the flavor of the food cooked over charcoal much better.

I have a chicken on the Kamado right now so we'll have a new video tonight :)

Been following this thread from the beginning. JM you have done us all a great service with all the work you put into this review.

I went north yesterday and Lowes had no clue what this was, all thought they did look it up and tell me they did not stock it. :crazy:

This afternoon I went south and found the little bugger. So, yes I did pull the trigger. I opted to put it together myself as I noticed that they had not done such a great job doing it.

Oh yea, no coupon but I always get 10% Veterans discount. $269.10 plus tax, how could I go wrong?

And the best part, my wife Sharon (BHSLH) told me to put it on her credit card. :clap2::clap2::clap::clap:

She must want something?

She want's some of daddy's good cookin' :D

Actually when she came home and I told her that I bought it she said I could just give her the cash that I put on her card. She just wanted the points. Go Figure:loco:
Still a good deal!

I am out of luck, all the Lowes around me are out of stock until the 15th, my local Home Depot has Performers on sale for $260.

My experience is a Kamado style and Performer are a great compliment to each other. Like many here, my opinion is that the propane start on the Performer is worth the $ bump.

I am out of luck, all the Lowes around me are out of stock until the 15th, my local Home Depot has Performers on sale for $260.

I would love for you to post this over in the Egghead Forum. Those guys get so riled up when someone posts anything that compete with their BGE's.

He did, and they were polite about it.

I would love for you to post this over in the Egghead Forum. Those guys get so riled up when someone posts anything that compete with their BGE's.

I actually did. I went there when I was shopping for an egg to get some advice. When I decided to get this instead, i started a thread about it called "Forgive me Eggheads for I have Sinned." It met with mixed reactions. Most of them were what I expected.... It'll never be as good as an egg... you get what you pay for... etc... etc... A couple of them asked me more about what I had bought and I posted the video links.

I should of never opened this thread . But So Glad I did :becky:

Thanks for all the vid's updates . My Gasser Died a few years ago and I have been using a small kettle but this will be my next grill purchase .. A man needs more cookers .

I actually did. I went there when I was shopping for an egg to get some advice. When I decided to get this instead, i started a thread about it called "Forgive me Eggheads for I have Sinned." It met with mixed reactions. Most of them were what I expected.... It'll never be as good as an egg... you get what you pay for... etc... etc... A couple of them asked me more about what I had bought and I posted the video links.

I used to lurk on that forum a couple years ago and most of those guys were brutal on anything that wasn't a BGE. Lurked earlier today and they seemed to have improved on that some.

Chicken looks great, what kind of pan setup did you use for it. I don't have much luck when it comes to finding smaller accessories like that. Another great vid post. Thanks!

I used to lurk on that forum a couple years ago and most of those guys were brutal on anything that wasn't a BGE. Lurked earlier today and they seemed to have improved on that some.

Chicken looks great, what kind of pan setup did you use for it. I don't have much luck when it comes to finding smaller accessories like that. Another great vid post. Thanks!

I have nothing against people having a lot of pride in the gear they own and use. I'm the same way.

I used a pizza pan as a heat deflector and then i just put that little roasting pan with the rack on the cast iron grate. I could have done without that but I'm still working on seasoning up my CI grate. I sprayed it down with some cooking oil before i started the cook. That roasting pan and rack are the ones that came with my Oster Toaster Oven :)

Funny, a couple months back, I found a post on their forum about the Vision Kamado Grill that I purchased from Costco. Most of the comments were negative, that the quality wasn't in the same league as BGE. I piped in that I recently purchased the grill and was very happy with it. Wow, did I make a mistake. What followed was an all out flaming session. I didn't back down and actually thought I did an OK job of putting a couple of their biggest bullies in their place. Eventually a few other regulars came to my defense and the thread calmed down. I noticed since then, they've been a bit more receptive to other's opinions.

Back