• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket Box - Rate it boys!

Ryan Chester

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I don't usually do this but what the hell. This is the brisket box I turned in day 2 last weekend at Knott's Berry Farm. Give it an appearance score and I'll post up what I got in a bit. I evened up the parslet a bit more before I sent it in but you get the idea.

Brisket-1.jpg

Does an appearance score have anything to do with one's desire to actually consume what's in the box?

A) What Parsely?
B) Your box is how I intend mine to look - I usually fail
C) I will say, however, why is your brisket spotted?
D) Therefore 8 (and 9 if the spots were not visible with the nekkid eye - are they injection spots?)

A) What Parsely?
B) Your box is how I intend mine to look - I usually fail
C) I will say, however, why is your brisket spotted?
D) Therefore 8 (and 9 if the spots were not visible with the nekkid eye - are they injection spots?)

Those spots are from the injection but you couldn't really see them. Way more visable with the camera.

If I were competing I'd expect an average of 8 - 8.25 with the 6 scores with perhaps some 9's and maybe a 7. On most days, one judge goes low.

Those spots are from the injection but you couldn't really see them. Way more visable with the camera.

Looks like a really good box to me then, if they were not visible. It is just like I would like my brisket to appear: Moist, hearty, and all about the beef. I will be interested to see if folks comment on your lack of BEs. I typically do not include them either....

(Side note, check out how loose the muscle fibres are around your injection sites compared to where they are not. Remarkable really)

That's good to know because those yellow splotches are pretty off putting in the photo. It looks like it has good texture, but, again it may be the photo, it appears to be greasy instead of moist. Almost as if you had sprayed it with PAM. I'm guessing it was moist. Nice smoke ring, but that's not to be judged by my understanding. 8?

If it didn't have the staining, I would have given in a 9, since I can't judge based on what it may have looked like, it's an 8. Wouldn't/Shouldn't lower the score because of something that's not in the box.(Burnt Ends)

I never notice injection marks either but they show up on pics.
I'd maybe pretrim just a little more so they can lay straight. Maybe get the parsley a little more even around the edges.

But I'd still give it a 9. Looks good.

What did it look like before you sharpened the picture?

from a cooks eye ... is it done? the only place it looks like the fat is rendered is where there is too much injection. ????

For appearance ... meat is sliced even, generally appealing, just even up the edges of the parsley and its a nice box. They dont have to be perfect.

Nice uniform slices, if the shine is moistness, not greasy that is great too, and if the off color around the injections is not visible I would give a 9 all day long! If the lighter color around the injections are visible, I would have to drop to at least 8, not perfect but still very nice looking.

I'm a CBJ and I'd give you a 9 ..if those yellow marks were not so prevalent. Otherwise you'd get a solid 8 simply because those slices look juicy and enticing and almost perfect (if not for those streaks) As a judge I like to judge the meat and not how talented you are at planting flowers in a box ...Unless no effort is made and parsley is just thrown in there and screams at you, "I don't bleepin' care". (I've seen some of that at two Comps in Maine). So your parsley frames everything just right to me. I'll also add most judges have a deep disdain for injections especially phosphates, I'd work at concealing those streaks or some judges may really penalize you. That's my opinion.

If, as you say, the injection marks aren't visable to the nekkid eye then it looks like at least a solid 8 from here, maybe a 9 seeing it in person.

By no means do I think this is a perfect brisket box or the best one I've ever done but just felt I got the shaft a bit with 3 7's. I know appearance is weighted less but when you turn in something pretty good and get bad scores, your just like WTF??? Anyway, thanks for your input as I thought it would be fun to see what you guys thought. Brisket is a solid category for us so it is what it is.

7, 7, 7, 8, 8, 9.

By no means do I think this is a perfect brisket box or the best one I've ever done but just felt I got the shaft a bit with 3 7's. I know appearance is weighted less but when you turn in something pretty good and get bad scores, your just like WTF??? Anyway, thanks for your input as I thought it would be fun to see what you guys thought. Brisket is a solid category for us so it is what it is.

7, 7, 7, 8, 8, 9.

I hear you need to present like Harry Soo if you want 9's in Cali

Back